slower forum

Knuckledragger

Nice, Al.

Which reminds me ... why have we never stopped in Petaluma or Novato for Lagunitas and Moylans?  

Oh, I see, it's a DOTU mindfuck to always have a reason for us to come back.  It's over!  Next visit west I want my Hopsickle.

tumblr_mazr9mdJze1qc4febo1_500.jpg

Poor bear.  Poor rolly-polly bear.   :(

Probably put a hurtin' on that Russian car, too.

Poor, poor, stupid, in-the-way bear.  

Short "hopumentary" about craft beer in the bay area.  Fun to see the City Beer Store, Zeitgeist, Lagunitas and other local beer folks for those who have met them and frequented their establishments.

I miss Zeitgeist.  I think I met Robin the one time I was there.  Nothing special, she was just checking up on me -- I think she recognized me as a non-regular.  I think that speaks well of her.  And I didn't know Adam from Eve, so I thought she was just another bartender.  It was nice weather the one time I was there.

But now that I like IPA's, I really need to go back.

And yes, I do remember having a Damnation at Zeitgeist.  I think it was Friday the 13th, too.

"Bacon crack"

Gotta love this.  Treat these people like the filth that they are!

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=132070636995606&set=vb.454236237992461&type=2&theater

http://www.youtube.com/dan291968

From what I can gather from his YouTube page, he lives in Allentown, PA.

Then, there's this... the worst mistake a guy can ever make when talking smack with some new girl that he's been hitting on.

519a225d72707.jpg

Edited by Wmcmanus

^ The first thing that made me think of was:

Rug pee-ers did not do this. Look at it. A young trophy wife marries this guy for his money. She figures he isn't giving her enough. You know, she owes money all over town. That fuckin'... Bitch. It's all goddamn fake, man. It's like Lenin said. You look for the person who will benefit, and, uh, uh, you know... 

Also, people who shoot video with their iPhones in portrait mode are the most annoying thing about online videos, second only to those who record TV and movie clips by pointing their cameraphone at a TV screen.  People who do that should have their phones soaked. :rant:

Gyf7y7D.jpg

NnBIzi9.jpg

Mooltipass.

oL4WsB1.jpg

zEmAl5C.jpg

BJDpsBE.jpg

On the other side of things... should online video players and placement keep up with emerging trends and not remain bias by video ratio traditions? Any real reason once video playback and capture are removed from playback hardware and editing software limitations it shouldn't be open to the same compositional possibilities as still photography?

That said I hated converting a bunch of co-workers vertical iPhone videos to 4K horizontal for editing yesterday. Grrrrr.

Edited by blessingx

Until we reach a point where we're all using our monitors in portrait orientation (which is to say never), failing to film things in landscape mode is a crime against humanity. There is at least one video recording app for Android that, when started in portrait position says "to begin, rotate your phone."

• Like 1

For the Kickstarter, Enrico Colantoni (who plays Veronica Mars' father) posted his videos in the horrible format.  I defended him.  It's just a format -- who cares?  When Stanley Kubrick shot some of his films in 4:3, he put bars on top and bottom to convert them to widescreen.  I consider 4:3 the more correct way to watch those movies.  Think of this as some kind of ridiculous Imax.

Ric -- to 4K?!?!?  What the L did you use as an upscaler/line double/quadrupler/16-tupler/whatever.

Until we reach a point where we're all using our monitors in portrait orientation (which is to say never), failing to film things in landscape mode is a crime against humanity. There is at least one video recording app for Android that, when started in portrait position says "to begin, rotate your phone."

So you have a problem with portrait stills too? ;) Actually, I know we're not there yet and I'm sure most agree with you generally and especially with most subjects captured, and I know most vertical video was likely done without thinking through display (like my daughters first steps video  :palm: ), but it wouldn't be technically hard to make the same adjustments as stills for one-offs or width locked online players (though I think I've seen probably only five in the last decade), no matter monitor ratios and our eyes horizontal placement. Again if there's a value in stills composition which wins over strick template layout, why not video... at least occasionally? Can you tell I just had this argument with a co-worker?

Ric -- to 4K?!?!?  What the L did you use as an upscaler/line double/quadrupler/16-tupler/whatever.

It's actually the opposite solution. As the videos were captured at 1080x1920 (iPhone 5 vertical), one of the 4K widescreen standards of 4096x2048 allowed a minimum of upsampling (1920 v. 2048) with obviously a ton of left/right letterboxing during editing. And yes, that's when we had the argument. His exact repeated phrase "Video is video!"

Edited by blessingx

I'm going to resist being additionally pedantic about aspect ratios, which is an act of great restraint.... oh, the hell with it.  As a still photographer, I spend more time thinking about this particular subject than is probably healthy.  Kubrick used 4:3, which is still technically "landscape" as it's wider than it is tall.  My favorite aspect ratio for still frame is 4:5, usually in landscape but sometimes in portrait.  I actually don't particularly like 3:2, but I publish a lot of photos in that ratio because I have an aversion to cropping.  One of the best photographers I know personally primarily uses square format (via either a Hasselblad or one of several Rolleis).  His reasoning (besides generally loving TLRs) is that with a square format camera he never has to think which way to hold the camera, he just shoots.  This cuts down on composition time, which is essential for a street photographer using a completely manual medium format film camera, but I digress... :rant:

This doesn't embed for shit, but you should listen to it.

3W2BTxo.gif

9cXpxDm.jpg

pkLrWt2.jpg

Badger Theremin. blink.gif

QGcZPQk.jpg

Yeah, it's Ghost in the Shell.  It's when they first find that the cyberbrain of someone's (someone important -- some minister or ambassador or something) translator or assistant was hacked into.  I was just reminiscing how brilliant the movie was, because -- as is true to life on the part of the cops -- they don't get to see the actual crime being committed or even allude to it, they're brought in after the fact.

I think it's time for me to watch it again.  I watch it every couple years.  I know, I'll make Mark watch it.

I was always creeped out by the throbbing tube thingy.  Was that really necessary?