What are you listening to Part the Third

Voltron

Glad you like.  [img=http://www.crf2.com/images/smilies/headbanger.gif]

Me:  Neurosis, The Eye of Every Storm, Spotify 'EP' version (Burn/Shelter/A Season in the Sky/I Can See You).

These guys understand patience and how to build up an atmosphere like Ridley Scott did in Alien, and Talk Talk did on Spirit of Eden.  I love that riff at 5:07 in "A Season in the Sky", and the song is half over by then.  Including that one dissonant chord that sounds 'off' -- there's something so perfectly 'off' about it.  Auto-tune must seem so quaint to them.

I mean, don't get me wrong, I love a good blast of an album that doesn't let up, like Shotgun Messiah's Violent New Breed -- but too many other bands don't understand how to contrast dynamics like this.  They think, "oh, let's just play a ballad", when what they needed to do instead is to just project -- I don't know what, whatever the mood entails -- malice, grief, transformation, an undercurrent of potential energy, a DC offset, premonition of the heaviness to come...something.

NOW OATH BREAKDER SINKS LOW...

I mean, they can even make a synthesizer throb heavy...

Sera Una Noce from MA Recordings at 96K soon to be 172.4K on the next DVD .  This is only possible because  I roll with a ULN8 and the Molly Dooker Enchanted Path Cab/Shiraz.

I highly recommend all of the above, but you can get a good deal on the Sera Una Noce DVD if you draw Brian (BHJazz) for the Christmas gift exchange.

Thanks Brian, you got very good taste! Awesome detail in the music.