What are you listening to Part the Third

Voltron

Michael Brook, BellCurve, to be followed by Music Library, Vols. 1-9

EDIT:  ...interspersed with some Dustin O'Halloran since he was listed as a "related artist", and because he's a member of the Devics, whom I love.

EDIT:  And listening to him play solo piano...I think I found out why I like the Devics so much.  He plays piano a lot like I do.  Well...a lot better, but similar choices, in terms of notes and chord progressions.

"When I first mentioned the name Philip Glass, I was thinking why not just throw it out and see what happens...The reaction...I was expecting was, 'He is the greatest composer alive, he won't ever do this!'...the greatest composer alive actually got back to us saying that he would do it.

"The piece needed to be written before production so the actors could practice...'These three measures are too Philip Glass...' and 'If this is not going to have that unique Philip Glass quality, why would I have asked Philip Glass to write this music?'...

"...[~2002] I heard a piece of temporary music...from an American film, Pi...

"Four years later, I saw a film called The Fountain...

"Another six years later, that is, exactly 10 years after I heard the music from Pi; I was at a bungalow on the studio lot at Fox, shaking hands with Clint Mansell. He was a tall man with broad shoulders, shaved head wearing black clothes who arrived in a black muscle car. How fitting, I thought, with the number of the bungalow, 666 ([for realsies]). He was an Englishman who didn't make any boisterous remark, or excessive flattery...

"Contrary to looks, Clint's music is by and large...feminine...and aims for subtle finesse...he exquisitely brings alive the texture of each and every instrument. He doesn't forcibly impose any one single emotion. The piano, the strings, vocals, and percussions, each seemingly singing about different emotions, come together to create a new emotion which is so complex it's difficult to describe with words. And this music, in the end, is beautiful. Exciting, but beautifully exciting, sad but beautifully sad, terrifying, but beautifully terrifying.

"...now it's time to talk about cats. The fact that, during the time music was being written for Stoker, Clint's cat and my cat both passed away. So, one could also say this this music, in the end, is sorrowful. Sorrowfully exciting, sorrowfully beautiful, sorrowfully terrifying. Could it be that the departures of our cats had a little influence on the music? Assuming that I'm allowed, here is what I would like to do with this, the most feline of my films (...): I dedicate this film to our two cats."

Park Chan-Wook, Director

Now bear with me on this----

http://youtu.be/LuW53xh-gj8

For some reason my kids turned me on to this it seems he is the rage with high school kids around here

then there is this-

http://youtu.be/Y2a0gGKNB24

A combination of Daler Mehndi, Steven Vai and Joe Satriani.   Ok maybe it is all that Reisling I drank today but.....

Now bear with me on this----

http://youtu.be/LuW53xh-gj8

For some reason my kids turned me on to this it seems he is the rage with high school kids around here

then there is this-

http://youtu.be/Y2a0gGKNB24

A combination of Daler Mehndi, Steven Vai and Joe Satriani.   Ok maybe it is all that Reisling I drank today but.....

Awesome, he does "UN Owen was Her?"