What are you listening to Part the Third

Voltron

Me:  Airbag on Spotify -- really decent prog, I've been getting a lot of good recommendations from the Facebook Big Big Train group, IQ, Pendragon, and now Airbag.

Add to that Dream the Electric Sheep.  Might be the best one yet.

Yeah, that ^ was my favourite of the First Listens from last week.

I take that back, Cry is for the Flies by Le Butcherettes was my favourite, but tUnE-yArDs (or however it's capitalized) was a close second.

Devin Townsend and Ché Aimee Dorval, Casualties of Cool -- Devvy does country (!)

First Listen this week:

Yann Tiersen, Infinity -- very cool, ambient, experimental, yet listenable, FLOTW

Jolie Holand, Wine Dark Sea -- hated this.  HATED.  What is she doing?

Conor Oberst, Upside Down Mountain -- meh, I just never got Oberst -- much prefer Vanderslice for this type of music

Haley Bonar, Last War -- this was very enjoyable

Pasatono Orquestra, Maroma -- a fun listen -- puts me in mind of gypsy and klezmer music, yet is neither of those.

EDIT:  Alright, it's still Devvy, so it's not pure country (no twang), more alt-country, but it's not even really that.  But it's mostly acoustic work, and it's still got his classic lush production with heavy wet reverb, and the songwriting is unmistakeably his.

Do you have the original Columbia SACD of this? Do I need this one if I have that one (which I do)?

I do not. Cannot offer you a comparison.

All I can say is the MFSL has a lot of tape noise, and was not immediately mind blowing. Good, just not woah good.

I'm sure someone on the Hoffman forum has heard the Columbia SACD and can compare.

I do not. Cannot offer you a comparison.

All I can say is the MFSL has a lot of tape noise, and was not immediately mind blowing. Good, just not woah good.

I'm sure someone on the Hoffman forum has heard the Columbia SACD and can compare.

I think I am going to the get the Mofi vinyl of this. I have a couple of 2-eye pressings that don't play perfectly quiet.

Hank Mobley - Soul Station

Compared the Music Matters 33 rpm with the 45 rpm, IMO the 45 rpm is so much better. Just so direct and full of life compared to the 33 which sounds "soft" and limp. If anyone wants to hear needle drop samples I can upload (though it is 16/44). I am pretty surprised since most people are saying the 33 rpm series is generally better than the old 45s.