What are you listening to Part the Third

Voltron

Holly Herndon, Platform -- glitchy experimental electronica -- medigs! -- RIYL Oneohtrix Point Never, Grimes, Fever Ray, et al.

Thanks for the post... I didn't realize it was out.  I had been trying to keep her on my radar for a while and failed.  I just finished listening myself... It's a great album.

• Like 1

I discovered her purely by chance -- was listening to Pye Control Audio as a result of a track from Knucks set on Friday (which I'd heard before, but felt like investigating this time), and clicked on related acts in Tidal, and she was the only one listed.

Oh, and she sounds nothing like them, lollers.

Now:  Tycho -- was KEXP set, now Boiler Room set, just really pretty post-rocky kind of stuff with heavy dose of electronica and effects.

@Dusty Chalk you might be interested in the new 24/96 of Heisei Fuzoku:

712026_1_f.jpg:

I also found the Decca re-release(?) of Ashkenazy's Rachmaninoff recordings, but I've been told that his interpretation is on the dull side? I'm no classical buff so no idea what that entails, but I do remember spending my  cash on the 44/16 version at borders when I was 12 or 13 years old.

00028947873587-cover-zoom.jpg

Dull Rachmaninov is still Rachmaninov, so...win!

(Translation:  I like Ashkenazy, sometimes a non-personalized interpretation is best interpretation.  I feel the same way about Schubert's chamber music, especially a certain very popular interpretation of his piano trios.)

And thanks for that, I did manage to track down the MoRA 24/96 DVD box set, which includes that.  Très wonderful.  Need to figure out how to rip it, now, so that I can listen on my computer.

Edited by Dusty Chalk

yeah heisei fuzoku is one of the best, I didn't know it was a movie soundtrack either which makes a lot more sense with respect to the themes/lyrics

do your mora DVDs also have video content? I've heard that if you put them into a video player there's some footage of ringo drawing

Re: ripping, http://www.dvdae.com/dvdae/tutorial/cd , trying it out on a dvd rip I found

Edited by nopants
  • Like 1

do your mora DVDs also have video content? I've heard that if you put them into a video player there's some footage of ringo drawing

Yeah, it's...interesting.  "Interesting".  I've only watched one so far, and it quickly became "background viewing", so if they threw in an Easter Egg, I missed it.  It's quite disposable (other than the beginning and the end) -- it shows her sitting at a desk, and she mimes manipulating something in the air, and CG magically forms, and then takes over the screen.  The rest of the album is this programmed CG stuff that kind of complements the audio, but it's also kind of like watching an oscilloscope -- you only find it interesting if you find it interesting.  I kind of wasn't in the mood, got it mostly for the audio content, so switched the Oppo to "pure audio" mode.  Would probably make great viewing in an "installation" at a party or something, where a lot of the people are indie hipsters and artiste types.  I think Blue Man Group did it better -- they didn't have any video content except for one song, and that one was one of those communicating LED bars that they had before their shows saying stuff.  And a cat, IIRC.

I mean, at least it was better than Thursday Afternoon.  Still life boobs with weird graphical manipulations of said still life boobs (not still life with boobs, mind you, they appeared quite still, so...not very interesting, except inasmuch as one is desperate for boobs, which I wasn't at the time (was married)).

Thanks for the link.

As to my favourite, that's still Karuki Samen Kuri no Hana (加爾基 精液 栗ノ花(カルキ・ザーメン・くりのはな) Chlorinated Lime Semen Chestnut Flower?), (English title Kalk Semen Chestnut Flower).  But I do still kind of love it when she wails.  I still need to get that Tokyo Jihen set, too.

I'm glad I didn't bother watching then. It seems to sound fine using DVD audio extractor so give it a spin. Should take less than 30 minutes a disc if your computer isn't dogshit like mine.

And thanks for that, I did manage to track down the MoRA 24/96 DVD box set, which includes that.  Très wonderful. 

I did some homework, the disc listing is

01 Muzai Moratorium

02 Shoso Strip

03 Kalk Samen Kuri Hana

04 - Ringo no Uta

05 - Watashi to Houden 01

06 - Watashi to Houden 02

So Heisei Fuzoku is its own separate hi-res re-release. Not trying to be snarky about it, it's just a really good album you should pick up if you're interested in Shiina Ringo. I also managed to find the Tokyo Jihen Hard Disk Set if you're interested, but that seems like something you might want to invest in. They released the redbook compilation in '13 so I wouldn't hold my breath for a hi-res version anytime soon.

Edited by nopants