What are you listening to Part the Third

Voltron

A Nu-Metal playlist on Spotify -- I'll admit it, I like some Nu-Metal.  There's one song, in particular, from somewhen between 2005 and 2012 that I heard in a now defunct computer store that has been haunting me.  I think it might be System of a Down or Crazy Town.

On the other end of the "widely lauded" spectrum -- I.E. something I suspect will have universal appeal -- is The Mystery Lights -- sounds like it was written and performed back in the good old days (Motown/Sun Studio era?), but is a 2016 release.  I can't even think of a single track to recommend, as I'm afraid of leaving one of the others out, so I'll just say, listen to the whole thing!

35 minutes ago, aardvark baguette said:

Had to image search this.

I like it better than other DK stuff I've heard.

When I was in 8th grade, I was generally listening to whatever was on the radio. Someone loaned me this tape and it profoundly changed my life. Whether for nostalgia reasons, or because I actually think it's good, it remains about my favorite album.

• Like 2

Gojira, Magma -- which is superb -- prog metal

Haken, Affinity -- which is also superb -- hard rock prog

The Mystery Lights -- goddamn, I love this album.  My only complaint?  It's too short, but it's superb -- one of those albums I can't pick a favourite track on because they're all so good.  Old school R&B.

Ling tosite sigure - i'mperfect 

If your down for some frantic post hardcore J-rock loaded with rapid tempo changes, incredibly complex (and inventive) guitar melodies and very shall we say "passionate" vocals, they're worth a listen. This album represents them at pretty much the top of their game to date so It's a good place to start if you've never heard them.

61614-e4b8a34b38714083b57b951a7f53c420.jpeg

Edited by Arthrimus
  • Like 1

On 7/5/2016 at 7:43 PM, Dusty Chalk said:

The Mystery Lights -- goddamn, I love this album.  My only complaint?  It's too short, but it's superb -- one of those albums I can't pick a favourite track on because they're all so good.  Old school rock

Can't stop listening to this.  Sounds like it's 40 years old.  Will someone please listen to it and recommend me some other stuff to listen to like this?  ? and the Mysterians?  13th Floor Elevators?  Need to go on Pandora, I think.

Sorry, forgot link:

https://themysterylights.bandcamp.com/

On 7/7/2016 at 6:13 PM, Dusty Chalk said:

Can't stop listening to this.  Sounds like it's 40 years old.  Will someone please listen to it and recommend me some other stuff to listen to like this?  ? and the Mysterians?  13th Floor Elevators?  Need to go on Pandora, I think.

Sorry, forgot link:

https://themysterylights.bandcamp.com/

Added this to "favorites" in Tidal since your first post. Finally got a chance to listen. Totally agree on all accounts. Kind of a Jack White/Doors feel to it. I can't help with recommendations, but I'm all ears if there's another band doing this. I'll be listening to this one again.

Edited by robm321
  • Like 1

I already have tickets to see them live.  Don't care if it's a 20 minute set, I <3 this act so hard...I mean, it's just perfect from beginning to end...and thanks for pointing out the Jack White and Doors touchpoints -- I felt them both subconsciously, but they were different enough that I had a hard time putting my finger on either one...it's definitely got that 'wild' singing, borderline out of control, full of soul, ripe with attitude, for which I am....thankful...dammit, almost had a rhyme for that...

• Like 1