What are you listening to Part the Third

Voltron

6 minutes ago, mypasswordis said:

The new Roger Waters album seems more like an homage to Pink Floyd by a cover band (eg Smell the Roses sounds like a worse version of Have a Cigar) so I'm going back to the real McCoy.

Agreed. It may be Waters' best album in 30 years, but that doesn't make it that great. I was disappointed.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, mypasswordis said:

pink-floyd-meddle.jpg

The new Roger Waters album seems more like an homage to Pink Floyd by a cover band (eg Smell the Roses sounds like a worse version of Have a Cigar) so I'm going back to the real McCoy.

As much as Roger Waters would like to believe that he was "Pink Floyd", I'll argue that there was a bit more contributing talent.

• Like 1

Richard Wright dying made any hope of recreating old pink floyd possible, so Waters or Gilmore solo efforts are pretty much the only option for new Floyd these days.  And since they haven't REALLY been floyd since Barrett got committed anyway...

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, grawk said:

And since they haven't REALLY been floyd since Barrett got committed anyway...

I'm not so sure about that. While Barrett certainly had a path in mind, the time spent following that path was relatively short lived. I'd argue that the Pink Floyd we know today began after Sid's OD, when they must have wondered what the hell do we do now. Well, regrouping and putting together Dark Side of the Moon was what they did, and while I dig Piper at the Gates of Dawn, it's not what I first think of when I think of Pink Floyd.

I think the Barrett and Waters led Pink Floyd were both Pink Floyd, just different. What happened after/because of The Final Cut, maybe not so much. I have a hunch that what happened from the split has got Roger Waters still bitter about the whole thing 30 years later, so he decided to put bits of his era of Pink Floyd in his songs on the new album. Not sure how happy the other members of the band are about that...

• Like 2

I found both these videos enlightening:

I think Barrett-led (early stuff), ensemble (everything between <-- and --> ), Waters-led (The Wall, Final Cut), and Gilmour-led (A Momentary Lapse of Reason and after) were all Pink Floyd, just different. :) 

It seems Waters in the above video recognizes that he wasn't Pink Floyd in hindsight.

• Like 4

Listening to the 50th anniversary release of Sgt. Pepper's.  Giles Martin did a really really nice job.  It's a joy to listen to.  I didn't pony up for the version that included the 96/24 tracks but I may after listening to the 44.1/16

• Like 2

On 6/20/2017 at 3:26 PM, Hopstretch said:

It sounds too much like classic Pink Floyd? 

I'm finally getting around to listening to this.  

I actually don't think it sounds that much like classic Pink Floyd.  I mean, the opening, sure, but mostly it sounds like classic Roger Waters.  My favourite period of Pink Floyd was ~50% instrumental. and Roger...well, he never really shuts up, does he?

I'm alright with that.

All the albums starting from DSotM until TFC were largely conceptualized by Roger Waters and his thematic/concept album way of organization along with, as you said, more lyricism of a more direct nature. Those are arguably the most well-known of PF albums, and what he was musically quoting from. The instrumental, more ambient/psychedelic phase was everything before and possibly including Meddle, and there was some level of returning to roots after Roger Waters left as well. So I'd say it depends on your interpretation of the word classic, and which is not one and the same as your favourite period. 

Just listened to this:

• Like 2

8 hours ago, mypasswordis said:

All the albums starting from DSotM until TFC were largely conceptualized by Roger Waters and his thematic/concept album way of organization along with, as you said, more lyricism of a more direct nature. Those are arguably the most well-known of PF albums, and what he was musically quoting from. The instrumental, more ambient/psychedelic phase was everything before and possibly including Meddle, and there was some level of returning to roots after Roger Waters left as well. So I'd say it depends on your interpretation of the word classic, and which is not one and the same as your favourite period. 

Um...no.  He wrote much of the lyrics, yes, but not all, and for example the over-arching concepts to Dark Side of the Moon, WYWH, and Animals, and the use of spoken words bits during the course of Dark Side of the Moon, and the whole theater-of-the-mind portion of "On the Run" were all joint efforts.  The decision to make "Shine On You Crazy Diamond" about Syd was a group one.  I could go on and on, but he didn't really forcefully take over as "musical director" until The Wall.

When I say, 50% instrumental, it's more about time than it is about number of songs -- Animals may have 5 vocal numbers, but it is still 50% instrumental.  And 50% is a very hand-wavy number -- I'm not saying down to the minute, but compared to most poprock music, there are great swaths of instrumental sections in their music.  "Shine On You Crazy Diamond" is fairly obviously >50% instrumental.  

Was:  Big Big Train, The Second Brightest Star -- sort of a companion album to Grimspound -- a much more intimate album, so intimate, I feel like it was recorded specifically for me.  Also:  lots of instrumental passages.

Is:  Somali Yacht Club, The Sun -- more excellent stoner

To Be:  Sasquatch -- yet still even more excellent stoner

• Like 1