What are you listening to Part the Third

Voltron

11 hours ago, Dusty Chalk said:

Allan Holdsworth, The Man Who Changed Guitar Forever, the album collection.

I like jazz.  XD

I was just posting elsewhere about how I had no idea how good he was while he was in Marillyn Manson until I found out he had a signature tele, and went looking. 

Allan Holdsworth owned one of the hand made by my teacher guitars. He seemed to like a lot small body ones with funny shapes, and great sounding.

I've listened to a couple of albums on YT, is the whole collection worth it?

1 hour ago, Torpedo said:

Allan Holdsworth owned one of the hand made by my teacher guitars. He seemed to like a lot small body ones with funny shapes, and great sounding.

I've listened to a couple of albums on YT, is the whole collection worth it?

It's 12 albums so give me some time to get through it all, and that's just the first time -- I actually got it from HDTracks during the last sale. If you're unfamiliar with his music in general, the best word to describe it is "modern". It's very fusion-y, with lots of esoteric chord progressions and synth guitar.

Also:  that's cool!  Who's you're teacher, if I may ask?  It's not Bill DeLap, is it?

His signature Carvin is one of those headless ones, and he was also famous for playing Steinbergers, which were also headless.  So yeah, you got that right.

• Like 1

His name is Al (Alberto) Martín, but he has no website nor social network profile. He's not this Alberto Martín. Al's the luthier behind the aluminum Pamito Guitars design, woodwork (neck, fretboard), pick ups, ensembling and adjustments. I have one of their aluminum Telecaster models, I posted pics elsewhere. Look at the all wood models, they have some similarities in finish and sound to his own guitars, but he has plenty of smaller body designs, even shorter scale lengths, and small head. He got in touch with Allan through another musician/guitarist/producer who came to live in Spain in the 80's or late 70's, but I can't recall his name.

Al is a more than decent guitarist, I mean not at virtuoso level technically IMO, but very knowledgeable at theory level. He recommended me to listen to Holdsworth works to learn how he handled harmonic concepts and how original were his melodic lines. My "problem" with such music is that it's rather atonal, not easy to follow melodically, but amazing for its different perspectives.

I'm listening now to Metal Fatigue

Allan_Holdsworth_-_1985_-_Metal_Fatigue_

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Torpedo said:

His name is Al (Alberto) Martín, but he has no website nor social network profile. He's not this Alberto Martín. Al's the luthier behind the aluminum Pamito Guitars design, woodwork (neck, fretboard), pick ups, ensembling and adjustments. I have one of their aluminum Telecaster models, I posted pics elsewhere. Look at the all wood models, they have some similarities in finish and sound to his own guitars, but he has plenty of smaller body designs, even shorter scale lengths, and small head. He got in touch with Allan through another musician/guitarist/producer who came to live in Spain in the 80's or late 70's, but I can't recall his name.

Al is a more than decent guitarist, I mean not at virtuoso level technically IMO, but very knowledgeable at theory level. He recommended me to listen to Holdsworth works to learn how he handled harmonic concepts and how original were his melodic lines. My "problem" with such music is that it's rather atonal, not easy to follow melodically, but amazing for its different perspectives.

I'm listening now to Metal Fatigue

Allan_Holdsworth_-_1985_-_Metal_Fatigue_

Being unfamiliar with the vocabulary, myself, it is a little harder to get into, emotionally, at first, but as I scrutinize it enough to figure out what he's doing, it gets a little easier and fun.

That's my teacher's point, if you get familiar with the unpredictable places where the musician is taking you to, you start to be in a position to get more involved emotionally and to really enjoy this "weird" stuff. Funnily enough I found this video at Youtube (that guy's channel is interesting for those of us learning) which is somewhat related to this matter

The weirder, richer and unpredictable is the stuff you're listening to, the more trained to find out intervals and harmonies our brains will be.

• Thanks 1

On 8/19/2017 at 9:00 AM, Dusty Chalk said:

Being unfamiliar with the vocabulary, myself, it is a little harder to get into, emotionally, at first, but as I scrutinize it enough to figure out what he's doing, it gets a little easier and fun.

I just got to the cover of Norwegian Wood, and it's very instructive.  It's like a switch flipped.  Everything after that is making...well, alright, maybe not total sense, but more sense.