What are you listening to Part the Third

Voltron

Yeah, I'm not sure how to put it into words, but I'll try:  Since I am familiar with the original, I got to hear the arrangement, distilled. He adds this funny chord progression that doesn't really have a key, so it sounds like it's just rising and falling without ever resolving. That made me realize he probably does things like that in his own compositions.

1 hour ago, Dusty Chalk said:

Yeah, I'm not sure how to put it into words, but I'll try:  Since I am familiar with the original, I got to hear the arrangement, distilled. He adds this funny chord progression that doesn't really have a key, so it sounds like it's just rising and falling without ever resolving. That made me realize he probably does things like that in his own compositions.

I see. I'll look for that tune and see what he's doing. For your explanation I think I can understand why my teacher advised me to pay him a listen. That circling around and keeping the music unresolved, leading it to resolve wherever you want it to, is what he's getting me into.

• Like 1

On 8/26/2017 at 9:15 AM, Sechtdamon said:

The Peter Brotzmann Octet - Machine Gun.

As a metal head, I started to like free jazz. But quality of the sound cannot be worse, I guess thats the part of it too.

His son Caspar does some pretty cool "free guitar" work as well.  I have an old album or two in MP3 format somewhere, need to find them and listen again....

• Thanks 1

I went to see the Oslo philharmonic orchestra and Leif Ove Andsnes perform Stravinsky, Rachmaninov and Shostakovich this friday, and now thanks to BBC 3 i can relive that moment, as they performed the same sets on the Proms yesterday.

I think they did a very good rendition of Rach.4

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b092k4sn

i need to rip this from the web with audacity or something so i can keep listening to even after they remove it from the web.

• Like 3