What are you listening to Part the Third

Voltron

I think he would certainly argue this!

The first album I ever heard of theirs was after peak Lynne -- Time in 1981 -- but was also probably the first "concept" album I was ever somewhat aware of (at 11) as a coherent narrative/thing. Fully blew my tiny sci-fi loving mind.

Wait, full disclosure, I also saw "Xanadu" in 1980 and it gave me feelings about Olivia Newton-John that I didn't know what to do with.

• Like 2

nfwlQpY.jpg

Jimi Hendrix - Early Instrumentals or a reasonably facsimile thereof.  

I had this EP on cassette during my high school years and played the bejeezus out of it.  

pyenapple's comment on Discogs sums it up rather well:

This is a wonderful little cheap compilation—I bought a copy at Hastings in Missoula, Montana in maybe 1993. I used to listen to this early in the morning, still awake after working graveyard shifts at a restaurant (Finnegan's, now closed), feeling hazy from the void left by caffeine leaving my system and the simultaneous, urgently beckoning digit of sleepiness. This music was somehow ideally moody for the pale early morning light.

(Edit: These five instrumentals are all available on the "The Complete PPX Studio Recordings" box set, so the tracklist here can be recreated as a playlist.)

That last bit is how I re-created the EP.  Converted FLACs of the songs in question and turned them into an EP in iTunes.

• Like 1

The link I gave to the Zeppelin gig at Southampton has a brilliant reference in it. Plant at one point says he went to the toilet, and saw the name "Alan Whitehead" written on the inside of the cubicle, and the next number was dedicated to him.

Now I knew Alan well - Carole and I used to go to dinner at his and Ruth's student flat and vice versa (Ruth married him - but now decades divorced). He ended up as Student Union President - and then went into politics big time. This is him now, Member of Parliament for Test and Itchen (a Southampton constituency) https://www.parliament.uk/biographies/commons/dr-alan-whitehead/62 . He is probably blissfully unaware that Zeppelin immortalized his student graffiti!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1