What are you listening to Part the Third

Voltron

On 2/6/2018 at 3:21 AM, Dusty Chalk said:

That actually might be my favourite thing they did besides Ma Fleur.  Thanks for posting it, I hadn't listened to it before.  I don't think.

Oh, it's nice to come across someone else who enjoys some Cinematic Orchestra - glad you got a kick out of it too.

• Like 1

Hello!

What kind of music?  Anything I'd be interested in, or should I just stare at the album cover?  The last time I bought an album for its cover like that, it was Chynna Philips' Naked and Sacred, and I don't really remember the music, which means I probably thought it was crap.  But who knows, maybe I'd like it now?

7 minutes ago, Dusty Chalk said:

Hello!

What kind of music?  Anything I'd be interested in, or should I just stare at the album cover?  The last time I bought an album for its cover like that, it was Chynna Philips' Naked and Sacred, and I don't really remember the music, which means I probably thought it was crap.  But who knows, maybe I'd like it now?

It's jazzy vocal pop. Her band is amazing, we attended her concert live a couple of years ago and had a great time. She sings with taste and soul, in the Billie Holiday or Amy Winehouse kind of way. She tries to give a different touch to standards and has her own compositions

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Voltron said:

Oddly enough, I had seen another new album skimming Tidal earlier and thought you were listening to the same one. Similar feel, so to speak...

rhye-blood.jpg

Yes, I saw that cover on Qobuz too and sampled a few tunes out of curiosity, but it's not the same type of music.

I'm now listening to the new Laurie Anderson & Kronos Quartet "Landfall" which is freely available at the NPR's First Listen section.

wZlxa4W.jpg

Edited by Torpedo
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

You should just cut'n'paste the link straight into your post, give it a moment, and the software should change it to an embed on its own.  The hard part is stopping it from doing so -- which I'd like to do with the occasional NSFW link -- how are you doing that?

PS  Love early Autechre -- I lost interest when they started introducing randomness to their rhythms.

• Thanks 1

Thanks, I will try to be in less of a rush next time!

Aye, early Autechre is good stuff. While often  eerie and menacing, it's also oddly serene. It's also a good match for the slightly ethereal nature of some e-stats. I was just enjoying rediscovering that album, and wanted to inflict it on someone else.

(That said, when I saw them in the 90s at Brixton Academy, they were anything but ethereal- the opening notes made quite a lot of people actually fall over and some of the MDMA burnouts in the crush area outside the main auditorium were curled in terrified foetal balls. Coming on in the small hours of the morning and doing that was a brilliantly mean trick.)

Edited by Kattefjaes
  • Like 1