What are you listening to Part the Third

Voltron

Sounds awesome!  Despite having been into them since ~Amber/Basscadet/Garbage/Anti days, I’ve never seen ‘em live.  I have seen Pansonic  and Mouse on Mars, though.  Your comment reminded me of one Pan Sonic show in particular, where it felt like they were searching for the brown note, and found every other colour of the rainbow except brown, resonating practically every part of my body.  It was a surprisingly pleasant and sensual experience, and I was sober.  Ever since then, I’ve never criticized a band for being more interested in sonorities than melodies.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ironbut said:

Gotta admit that I'm not familiar with these (in any format).

I'm hoping for a thorough review Peter?

It's pretty much exactly what it says it is.  Solo instruments recorded well, playing renditions of familiar tunes, if somewhat simplified.  It pretty much sounds like someone in a guitar center going through the different sounds on a guitar/electric piano/saxophone/trumpet/steel drums/what-have-you, noodling around in an attempt to capture what was originally played in an ensemble format.  Except the musician really knows the material.  You have to really love the sound of the instrument to be able to listen to it for 36+ minutes, which I happen to (at least, the electric piano and the accordion ones).  Take, for example, the electric piano version of Peter Frampton Comes Alive -- it's almost half as short as the album.  And they don't add distortion, so it's not so much produced as performed straight.  I'm tempted to grab one of the electric piano ones, just so I can sample the shit out of it.  I'm listening on Tidal, on which the artist is listed as "Solo Sounds".  Some of them are pretty brave -- Miles Davis' Kind of Blue!

I should put it on shuffle.

18 hours ago, Dusty Chalk said:

"A bit dark"?!?!?  Unholy carp, good thing I was home when I watched this.  There are black metal songs that wish they were as dark.  I have a new obsession.  Listen to how powerful this voice can get.

It did knock me on my ass the first time that I heard it, too, I admit- I was quiet for a good while after.

Yes, there's a lot of power there, worn very lightly. She doesn't mess around.

• Like 1