What are you listening to Part the Third

Voltron

So the YouTubes went down for an hour or so yesterday and I missed the whole thing.  I redid my upstairs audio setup a month or so ago and I haven't done any critical listening with it.  Naturally I queued up a couple Biosphere albums.

TsEJHPW.jpg

Substrata (1997, but this is the 2017 web release).

le5mftw.jpg

Cirque (2000 version, I don't have the web re-issue yet.)

The former is arguably the greatest ambient album in the world, and the latter is no slouch.  Cirque is really, really good.  Substrata is ...transcendent.  It's unlike anything before or after it.

qbePxys.jpg

I'm actually not huge on 2002's Shenzhou.  It's full of weird classical music samples that get old quickly.  That said, iTunes played it next and I bothered to listen to the whole thing.  I'll say this, the not-annoying parts of the album are actually quite good and require some effort on the part of the listener to be appreciated.  That's not really surprising, given the artist in question.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 10/21/2018 at 8:01 PM, Hopstretch said:

Greta Van Fleet -- Anthem of the Peaceful Army

greta-van-fleet-debut-album-62d04adb3220d5ac.jpg.ba8a48d6e595b9d43c1ee1404030500f.jpg

Zepp pastiche or young folks re-engaging with rock, your call.

Pitchfork gave it a 1.6 (out of 10). Now I have to listen out of curiosity!

https://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/greta-van-fleet-anthem-of-the-peaceful-army/

Edited by TMoney

6 hours ago, TMoney said:

Pitchfork gave it a 1.6 (out of 10). Now I have to listen out of curiosity!

https://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/greta-van-fleet-anthem-of-the-peaceful-army/

Lol. Well at least they re-rated Remain In Light a 10 to make up for it.

https://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/talking-heads-remain-in-light/

• Like 3

On ‎10‎/‎22‎/‎2018 at 4:01 AM, Hopstretch said:

Greta Van Fleet -- Anthem of the Peaceful Army

greta-van-fleet-debut-album-62d04adb3220d5ac.jpg.ba8a48d6e595b9d43c1ee1404030500f.jpg

Zepp pastiche or young folks re-engaging with rock, your call.

I had not had time to listen to this. For a moment I thought I was wrong and that it was a Zepp record.  In some cuts, the voice is almost identical to that of Plant. 

Good discovery. Thank you 

An interesting live performance by Chick Corea

The last few Corea's outputs made me think of those Picasso's words "As a child I painted like Michelangelo, but it took me all life to draw like a child". Corea always played virtuoso piano, and has evolved through many styles, but it's lately when he, in my opinion, is playing wonderful simple music.

• Like 3