What are you listening to Part the Third

Voltron

Not sure why you have trouble understanding it as an instrument -- it is monophonic -- like most every wind and brass instrument -- and it isn't fretted or stopped -- like a guitar or saxophone, more like a violin, cello or slide whistle -- and it has a purity of sound that I rather enjoy.  (I have a friend who went to Bob Moog's workshop and built her own, and she did an extra careful job and it was voiced like a Minimoog -- it was delicious.  I haven't heard another that sounded quite like it.  Most of the recordings I've heard didn't have the midrange body that this one had.  It was thick and girthy.

That said, I still really do like the sound of any and all synthesizers, including the theremin.

Me:  Chiu, complete Prokofiev solo piano music or whatever it's called

Damn, I love this stuff.  Such a beautiful sense of melody harmony and dissonance.  I need to write more dissonance.

• Like 1

You know my English is not very good, but I will try to explain. ?

It's not because of how that instrument sounds (I like its sound of course). When I was little I went to the conservatory for many years and I´m used to the physical interaction between a musician and his instrument (including synthesizers). Don´t get me wrong, I think the advances in digital instrumentation are great but see someone playing a non-physical instrument is something strange to me.

Edited by jose
  • Like 1

Ah, okay, it's the not touching thing?  Yeah, that is something that is unique to this instrument.  It has to do with the way it's designed -- you control it by making small changes in electromagnetic waves around it.  By its very nature, you can't touch it.

By the way, it's not digital -- it was invented back in 1919.  It's only very recently that they've been able to add sufficient tracking to use it as a MIDI controller, but it's still mostly played in the analog realm.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Dusty Chalk said:

Ah, okay, it's the not touching thing?  Yeah, that is something that is unique to this instrument.  It has to do with the way it's designed -- you control it by making small changes in electromagnetic waves around it.  By its very nature, you can't touch it.

By the way, it's not digital -- it was invented back in 1919.  It's only very recently that they've been able to add sufficient tracking to use it as a MIDI controller, but it's still mostly played in the analog realm. 

Yes that's what I mean. I've seen the videos again and the calisthenics (grace of movement) is beautiful. 

I didn´t know it was so old. Now that you say it, I remember something about the principle of operation.

Wow John Spencer's video is brutal!!!! I like.