What are you listening to Part the Third

Voltron

fsdRj2E.jpg

Steely & Clevie's Dubbist, and man is it ever a disappointment.  Steely & Clevie are a reggae/dub production duo who have been around for ages.  One of them died about a decade ago.  They're most famous for the update they did to Dawn Penn's Classic "No, No, No" in 1993.  

Now credit where credit is due, in all versions of "No, No, No" 90% of what makes the song work is Dawn's vocals.  That said, the production Steely & Clevie did rises to the task and is, as the millennials say,  infection AF.  What I cannot understand is why their 2002 album is so BAD by comparison.  They use cheesy "mid 80s Casio preset" synth tones that are like lukewarm Velveeta.  The whole album is incredibly amateurish sounding, especially compared to what they did a decade prior.

On 5/30/2019 at 4:18 AM, jose said:

I am listening this right now. Good discovery!

In all fairness, I was introduced to them several years ago by a certain British Facebook friend, but they’re so great, I don’t even have a favourite song by them.  “Again” got played on repeat for a while there, so it’s probably closest, but I like all their long songs, “Lights”, “Controlling Crowds”, etc.

And the lyrics to “Fuck U” still resonate in today’s American political climate.

There's a look on your face I would like to knock out
See the sin in your grin and the shape of your mouth
All I want is to see you in terrible pain
Though we won't ever meet I remember your name
Can't believe you were once just like anyone else
Then you grew and became like the Devil himself
Pray to God I think of a nice thing to say
But I don't think I can, so fuck you anyway
You a scum, you a scum and I hope that you know
That the cracks in your smile are beginnin' to show
Now the world needs to see that it's time you should go
There's no light in your eyes and your brain is too slow
Pray to God I can think of a nice thing to say
Bet you sleep like a child with your thumb in your mouth
I could creep up beside put a gun in your mouth
Makes me sick when I hear all the shit that you say
So much crap comin' out it must take you all day
There's a space kept in hell with your name on the seat
With a spike in the chair just to make it complete
When you look at yourself do you see what I see?
If you do why the fuck are you lookin' at me?
Why the fuck are you lookin' at me, me?
Why the fuck are you lookin' at me?
Why the fuck, why the fuck are you lookin' at me?
Why the fuck, why the fuck are you lookin' at me?
There's a time for us all and I think yours has been
Can you please hurry up 'cause I find you obscene?
We can't wait for the day that you're never around
When that face isn't here and you rot underground
Pray to God I can think of a nice thing to say

• Like 2

On 6/2/2019 at 5:07 PM, Dusty Chalk said:

My Diligence, Sun Rose -- superb hard rock/metal with clean vocals.  Vocals aren't as up front as I'd like, but that's the style of music (very "wall of sound"), not a criticism per se.

https://mydiligence.bandcamp.com/album/sun-rose

It is interesting to find a group of this style without "extreme" voices. I need to hear it a little more. I expect a voice from a demon in each riff, Habit? :D

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jose said:

It is interesting to find a group of this style without "extreme" voices. I need to hear it a little more. I expect a voice from a demon in each riff, Habit? :D

I know, right?  There’s actually quite a bit in the stoner genre.  Also check out King Buffalo, The Devil and the Almighty Blues, Soen, Octopussy, Leprous, Birdstone, Methadone Skies, and Half Gramme of Soma...it's about one in 10 on that channel, which is still pretty high, and those are just the standouts (to me, anyway, you're welcome to find your own).

I get most of these from the two Stoned Meadow of Doom YouTube channels.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCknVpWR6m2Ijzkqo-aPXs_g

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkqjcQwTNvsxQWT44N6ESrA

• Like 1

On 6/1/2019 at 11:23 PM, Dusty Chalk said:

In all fairness, I was introduced to them several years ago by a certain British Facebook friend, but they’re so great, I don’t even have a favourite song by them.  “Again” got played on repeat for a while there, so it’s probably closest, but I like all their long songs, “Lights”, “Controlling Crowds”, etc.

And the lyrics to “Fuck U” still resonate in today’s American political climate.

Those guys are kinda interesting... may have to listen to more. And yes, I found the lyrics quite appropriate these days.

• Like 1

On 6/3/2019 at 4:46 PM, jose said:

https://ripplemusic.bandcamp.com/album/of-blood-and-wine

He roughens his voice, but it's no worse than a lot of Southern rock.  I.E. he does not go full Cookie Monster.  Dusty like very much, especially tracks "Secular Lord" and "Gathering".  I will probably be purchasing this one as well.

Also, going back some, make sure to check out a lot of the femme vox metal bands like Lacuna Coil, Epica, Within Temptation and the like.  As well as Katatonia (Last Fair Deal Gone Down is a personal favourite; Viva Emptiness and Great Cold Distance are both perfection; Black Sessions is a great introduction); Amorphis (Am Universum and Tuonela); Rorschach Test, Unclean.  I will post others as I run across them/remember them.

A fellow of my cycling team lent me a couple of CDs of Katatonia and similar groups. He usually listens to them while he trains at home.

I still have to listen to them but this weekend I'll be up to date.

• Like 1