What are you listening to Part the Third

Voltron

Still on the Catherine Wheel kick (and Curve...)

My son got CDs for me of:

image.png.12339b403469709aca35d0d6cb05ded7.png

Pretty damn good. Not a fan of the close miked technique vs. their previous whole band in the studio approach (Ferment and Chrome), but very clean. I'd heard some of these on a youtube video live at the Bowery in NYC. I like the live a bit better, but not bad.

My son also got me this:

image.png.2e6190ca9db5ee0e1bc92c2fe326907b.png

I like (got this from this thread I think, maybe Stretch posting a track?). Very '80s-ish with analog synth (Prophet?).

And then I had to scratch an itch I've had for awhile and listen to ELP live at Isle of Wight almost 50 years ago doing Mussorgsky Pictures at an Exhibition... pretentious as hell? Check. Enjoyable? Check. Still love listening to Greg Lake. What a voice!

image.png.5dcb944c7165095f16d57300b2af3273.png

Still wish I had the CD of whichever album they had out which had the live Tarkus where Lake launched into the King Crimson "Epitaph". I know I have it on vinyl, but need to set my Thorens up again :)   It's been years.

• Like 5

Did he ever really do better than this?  IMHO, this is -- far and away -- his masterpiece.  I know people worship Richard D. James Album and Druqks, but nothing he did on those was as mind-blowing as this was to my 31-year-old brain (actually, probably 32 by the time I heard it, I was not exactly "in the know").

• Like 3

On 1/2/2020 at 2:13 AM, Dusty Chalk said:

Did he ever really do better than this?  IMHO, this is -- far and away -- his masterpiece.  I know people worship Richard D. James Album and Druqks, but nothing he did on those was as mind-blowing as this was to my 31-year-old brain (actually, probably 32 by the time I heard it, I was not exactly "in the know").

Hard to be definitive, but SAW2 is some of my favourite RDJ too. It's a perfect enveloping soundtrack to weird urban commutes and moonlit nights- he could have stopped there. Of course, I'm delighted he didn't, as he continues to make loads of really enjoyable music to this day (with a break of some years because he was sure no-one was interested), but god damn, SAW2 is gorgeous.

Meanwhile, I can't remember if I linked this before and I just finished off the Laphroig, so do cut me some slack, but I do love:

• Like 1

PbAOJzB.jpg

I was gonna post this isn Slow, but I think it's more appropriate here.  TMBG's Flood came out 30 years ago today.  After I got past my initial "holy shit am I old" reaction, I reflected upon the first time I heard it.  I was in a local record store called Al Bum's (get it) that still sold a lot of vinyl.  They were BLARING Istanbul (Not Constantinople) and I, a sullen, disaffected metalhead who had recently branched out into industrial, goth rock (as in Bauhaus) and some proto-grunge (thanks to college radio) was all like "WTF is THIS SHIT?!?  It's so HAPPY and MANIC ....can I hear it again?"  I didn't get my first CD player until the fall of 1990.  The first CD I bought was the Led Zeppelin 4CD boxed set (the first "boxed set" that launched that craze of the 1990s.)  It wasn't until early 1991 that I bought Flood on CD.  IIRC, I had a copied cassette in the summer of 1990.  I was severely depressed that year (as I was throughout high school, anyone who tells you that HS is the best years of your life is stuck in the 1950s) but in spite of/because of that I loved the maniac lunacy of Flood.  

I got to see TMBG live a couple times in the 1990s.  They played UMASS at one point in the early 90s and they played most of Flood.  I didn't recognize many of the non-Flood songs.  I saw them again in '96 in a club called Lupo's in Rhode Island.  That second show was amazing.  I remember pogoing like a madman to Anna Ng.  Clearly by '96 TMBG were getting sick of Flood.  They did super fast versions of the songs they knew the crowd wanted to hear and moved on to other things.  At some point maybe 10 years ago (2010 is now a decade ago ...ayep) TMBG played locally and did the entirety of Flood.  Sadly, I was not able to be at that show. 

• Like 11

Quincy Jones - Live in Ludwigshafen 1961

91kEb2cyJgL._SL1500_.jpg

"His Orchestra" were this bunch: Benny Bailey: trumpet; Freddie Hubbard: trumpet; Paul Cohen: trumpet; Curtis Fuller: trombone; Melba Liston: trombone; Ake Persson: trombone; David Baker: trombone; Julius Watkins: French horn; Phil Woods: alto saxophone; Joe Lopes: alto saxophone; Eric Dixon: tenor saxophone, flute; Budd Johnson: tenor saxophone; Sahib Shahib: baritone saxophone, flute; Patti Bown: piano; Les Spann: guitar, flute; Buddy Catlett: bass; Carlos "Patato" Valdes: conga drums; Stu Martin: drums;

It's a bittersweet experience listening to such good performers at their prime trying to succeed when their craft was losing the popularity contest. Such is life, who would have told Quincy in those days that he would hit it producing Thriller about twenty years later. He went next to bankruptcy because of that european tour in the early 60s.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1