What are you listening to Part the Third

Voltron

Listening to a music festival on tv, I think it was Glastonbury 2017.  Anyway I was listening to Rod Stewart sing "I don't want to talk about it".  I knew I had heard the song before but someone else was singing it.  Then I remembered Everything But the Girl.  Listening to the album Idlewild.  Once again, thank you Antonio.  Forgot how much I enjoyed it.

• Like 5

Just now, n_maher said:

Using Tidal to visit old favorites is fun.

Midnight Oil Blue Sky Mining

spacer.png

The feature I enjoy most is “track radio” as a way of discovering similar new music. It doesn’t work as well for classic rock, as they tend to lump all classic rock together, and if the music is too new, it tends not to exist, but it’s almost always worth it to me to check.

• Like 2

Fleetwood Mac (1975)

Rumours deservedly gets the most attention, but I really love this album. This is one of those rare incidences where an album measures up even after decades of anticipation (I remember looking at this album cover on the old Columbia House booklets... cassette version, of course!).

This CD also came with the singles versions of Say You Love Me, Rhiannon, Over My Head, and Blue Letter, which turned out to be a nice addition as I was most familiar with the radio versions, of course. I'm not sure why my Rumours CD doesn't have the singles. "The White Album" is a bit softer, sweeter, and more introspective while Rumours has a harder edge. I was relieved the remasters hadn't messed up the sound in a way I could hear.

I'm going to dive into their earlier albums as well. Specifically, Then Play On, Future Games, Bare Trees, and Tusk again, to start.

Also, I love Herbert Worthington's photo covers for Fleetwood Mac and Rumours. A great combination of photography, fashion, typography, and magic. Again, one of those rare times where the music is as great as the album art. The subjects must have felt silly posing for the covers, but the results are timeless.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Edited by HiWire
  • Like 4

7 minutes ago, HiWire said:

Fleetwood Mac (1975)

Rumours deservedly gets the most attention, but I really love this album.

I’m with you on that.  Way back when I was a lad, I didn’t listen to much pop music, but I did listen to these two albums (and a handful of others).  I taped them on a single 90 minute cassette to listen in the car, and have thought of them together ever since.

• Like 2

I loved listening to so many of the songs of those two albums before I even knew the albums existed. And when I tried years later to avoid the nostalgia of my childhood music, Fleetwood Mac always got an exception. I'm not sure if pop music can become timeless, but if Pet Sounds, Blue, etc. does, these aren't far behind in my book.

• Like 2

I didn't even know some of the songs were Fleetwood Mac. For example, Say You Love Me – I didn't know the name of the singer (I kind of thought she was a man, baby – sorry, Christine McVie! – it was the 70s) or the name of the song (it's not called "Falling, Falling, Falling"?), and it came on infrequently so radio stations didn't always identify the song right away. Obviously, everyone else knew, because everyone had listened to those albums. A great example of mainstream success where everyone can agree on a brilliant album. Also, unlike modern pop music, Fleetwood Mac's music had a soul.

Edited by HiWire
  • Like 2

57 minutes ago, grawk said:

This is a sweet set! They've still got the funk. This is one hell of a good recording, too.

On the other hand, that Dixie Chicks rendition of Landslide was painful to experience  😧

(No wonder they took 14 years to release another album)

Much better.

Also, I found this on Rumours (probably old news) while looking for the Fleetwood Mac / Eagles / punk quote:

"There were some production problems, the most harrowing of which was tape decay. Because they took so much time to record (they even cancelled a sell-out tour), they were constantly overdubbing on the master tapes. Tape is a physical medium consisting of iron oxide and this flakes off when tapes are rewound and played over and over.

The tapes began to decay and nothing sounded like it had when it was recorded. It all would have been lost if as a fluke they had not run another 24 track machine when recording the basic tracks. Luckily, they had this back-up. Then they had to match up all the new parts with the old parts with no time code or midi. They had to do it like a DJ matching the snare and kick on one side of the headphones with the old parts on the other side."

Always back up your data.

Edited by HiWire
  • Like 2