What are you listening to Part the Third

Voltron

I've told this story before, but in 1993 I was working for DHL and one day I had a delivery for Todd Rundgren. A young (as yet unknown) 16ish y.o., beautiful girl answered the door. When I told her that I had an envelope for Todd, she said that she was his daughter and would give it to him. She was very pleasant and I told her how much I loved her Father's music. We chatted for a minute or two, then I carried on with my route.

A year or two later, when I was back in Anchorage, I was watching music videos on TV. An Aerosmith video came on, with Alicia Silverstone and the young girl I'd had the conversation with. Shortly after that I found out that this beautiful girl wasn't Liv Rundgren, but actually Liv Tyler. 

Edited by swt61
  • Like 6

Maya Rudolph's Mother had one of the widest octave ranges. I remember riding in the car with my Mom, trying to hit that note. I couldn't of course, but back then I could give it a pretty good try.

BTW, that's her Father, Richard Rudolph playing acoustic guitar in the video.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 7/20/2021 at 2:48 PM, mikeymad said:

Cyclic Signs

Cyclic Signs
Enrico Morello

A little avantgarde for my daily tastes - but good:

Not sure what your threshold is, but if you like your prog borderline avant, I highly recommend Wax People (recent EP release) and All Traps on Earth (several year old album -- kinda Zeuhl, vaguely jazzy (in the same way that A Passion Play is vaguely jazzy), mostly instrumental symphonic prog, very great).

Me:

• Thanks 1

Songs from the Cool World

The first CD I ever listened to... a lucky and somewhat random library loan, it was particularly eclectic and amazingly it's even more awesome now than I thought back in 1992 (I thought it was overly-simple, repetitive, and varied too much in quality back then... too slight for its playing time). How tastes change. And despite my less-than-astute assessment of the music's merits, I borrowed it again several times over the years, eventually graduating from my dad's stereo, to the family's CD boombox, then my own portable CD player.

I didn't know much about the soundtrack artists or their back catalog because the internet as we know it didn't exist yet. Yes, I watched Cool World in the theater.

A life-changing album. I ended up getting all of the Thrill Kill Kult albums (even the bad ones) and oddly, I didn't pick up this CD for myself until a few years ago. Sex on wheelz indeed...

Two years later, the Kult featured again on a hit soundtrack... you might remember... for The Crow.

spacer.png

Edited by HiWire
  • Like 4