What are you listening to Part the Third

Voltron

Thanks Ric. Maybe I need to study some more and start at the beginning again. I have had many recordings over the years of his symphonies. Some I have liked more than others. The other day I listen to this (didn't post):

Mahler: Symphony No. 8 in E Flat Major "Symphony of a Thousand"

And it was just not clicking for me at all. I even thought to myself, maybe Mahler is just not for me. But based on the video, it helps me think of things in a little different light. So, I will add some back into my list and explore some more.

• Like 3

Thanks for that Ric! I hadn't seen that video before, and agree with what is said in it. Mahler has always been one of my favorites, particularly the 2nd, 3rd and 8th. My favorite 8th recording is the 1971 Solti/CSO recording, but I haven't listened to some of the more recent ones. I will say I have not been a fan in particular of MTT/SFO Mahler works as I find some of his tempi off-putting. I saw MTT conduct the 2nd in Chicago with the CSO, and found portions of it ghastly, though the mezzo-soprano Lorraine Hunt Lieberson (RIP) performed the best 4th movement (Urlicht) I've ever heard. I bought the SFO recording solely because she sang on it.

• Like 3

I used to struggle with Mahler until I bought a CD of one of Mahler's symphonies years ago. It came with a second CD that was narrated by Leonard Bernstein. It helped me understand what was going on. I was used to a certain form with classical symphonies. I had to throw that whole structure out when listening to Mahler. I've been a fan ever since. 

Here's a deeper dive with Bernstein that might give a better understanding as well. 

If nothing else, just listening to Berstein describe anything is a joy. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

^ Added.

Optimisme

Optimisme
Songhoy Blues

Example - I don't know what the songs are about, but music is good:

..formed in 2012 after three of its members fled northern Mali following the Islamic radicalist takeover of parts of the country. Settling in Bamako, Mali's capital, the group gigged hard throughout the city...

50 minutes ago, mikeymad said:

My Echo

My Echo
Laura Veirs

Example - strong Edie Brickell vibes for me:

She's very good, have been lucky to see her live twice: once opening for Neko Case, and again as part of Case-Lang-Veirs with aforementioned Neko and Lang as in k.d.  WONDERFUL show that was!

• Like 1