What are you listening to Part the Third

Voltron

2 hours ago, Dusty Chalk said:

Lydian Collective live with the Capital Orchestra:

I don't know what to call this, "composed jazz"?  It's instrumental, so 10 years ago I would have lumped it under my "new instrumentalism" moniker, which they would very much fit under.

Thanks Dusty. I like the tune, reminds me of a lot of 80s jazz that I would listen to (yellowjackes, spyro gyra, etc.). Overall the balance for the amplified to the acoustic instruments was off to me. I could see the strings grinding away but could only hear a whisper of them. 

Edited by mikeymad
  • Like 1

Tune?  I thought I posted the whole playlist.  Alas.  I definitely agree that the Lydian Collective were front and center, and Capital Orchestra is more of an accompaniment, but I believe that was the intention.  If you liked the music, their first album (rather, their whole catalog -- the first album plus a couple singles) is more of the same:

https://lydiancollective.bandcamp.com/album/adventure

Me, have moved on to fox capture plan.

Just discovered them, will probably listen to their entire catalog what's available on streaming (Spotify/Tidal/YouTube)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Dusty Chalk said:

Tune?  I thought I posted the whole playlist.  Alas.  I definitely agree that the Lydian Collective were front and center, and Capital Orchestra is more of an accompaniment, but I believe that was the intention.  If you liked the music, their first album (rather, their whole catalog -- the first album plus a couple singles) is more of the same:

https://lydiancollective.bandcamp.com/album/adventure

Me, have moved on to fox capture plan.

Just discovered them, will probably listen to their entire catalog what's available on streaming (Spotify/Tidal/YouTube)

Ah, that is why it kept playing... :)

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, mikeymad said:

Thanks Dusty. I like the tune, reminds me of a lot of 80s jazz that I would listen to (yellowjackes, spyro gyra, etc.). Overall the balance for the amplified to the acoustic instruments was off to me. I could see the strings grinding away but could only hear a whisper of them. 

Yes. Legend of Lumbar starts reminiscing a lot of "My favourite things", which is somewhat enhanced by the chord progression. Interesting group, thanks Dusty.

• Like 1

Was listening to an old episode of Score the Podcast with (This is Us score composer) Siddhartha Khosla, and his band, Goldspot, was mentioned.  Apparently, they write very little in 4/4 time -- mostly in 7, 5, 13, &c.  So I immediately started bingeing all 3 albums.  Pretty great -- it's not really prog, as they do the odd time signatures effortlessly, and the end result is very accessible.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1