What are you listening to Part the Third

Voltron

2 hours ago, Dusty Chalk said:

Listening to the new Emma Ruth Rundle, Engine of Hell -- unlike anything she's ever done before.  Beautiful acoustic slowcore, very minimalist, raw production.

I had been keeping an eye out for this but didn’t realize it came out today. Thanks!

• Like 1

New Bent Knee, Frosting.
Not sure what to make of it.
Not sure I ever will.

I kinda like about half of it, but I fricking hate the hyperpop stuff -- the autotune and fucked up vocal modulation stuff, that just sounds like children playing with toys.  I just don't get it.  This is one of the better tunes:

2 hours ago, en480c4 said:

I had been keeping an eye out for this but didn’t realize it came out today. Thanks!

You're welcome!  Did you see there's a new Aimee Mann as well?

22 hours ago, Dusty Chalk said:

You're welcome!  Did you see there's a new Aimee Mann as well?

Listened to this split between yesterday and today. Not at all what I would’ve expected after On Dark Horses, the Staying Power single and her collaborations with Thou. That said, it’s Emma Ruth Rundle, so it’s no surprise that it’s outstanding!

Aimee Mann has not been someone I’ve revisited much since the Magnolia soundtrack, if I’m honest. But with more time to listen with my new job, I’ll dive in next week! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, en480c4 said:

Listened to this split between yesterday and today. Not at all what I would’ve expected after On Dark Horses, the Staying Power single and her collaborations with Thou. That said, it’s Emma Ruth Rundle, so it’s no surprise that it’s outstanding!

Aimee Mann has not been someone I’ve revisited much since the Magnolia soundtrack, if I’m honest. But with more time to listen with my new job, I’ll dive in next week! 

Yeah, I listened to ERR all in one sitting, it was sublime.

Re: Aimee Mann -- oh.  She's settled into a nice comfy singer-songwriter niche, which I find worth listening to once in a while, but if she's not your thing, don't force yourself.  I thought I remembered you liking her.

Only semi-unrelated:  really looking forward to Chelsea Wolfe/Converge

• Like 1

image.thumb.png.7b1635236cde10da7426021a53065675.png

Their best yet I think.

As The War on Drugs has grown in size and stature from bedroom recording project to sprawling, festival-headlining rock outfit, Adam Granduciel’s role has remained constant: It’s his band, his vision. But when the pandemic forced recording sessions for their fifth LP I Don’t Live Here Anymore to go remote in 2020, Granduciel began encouraging his bandmates to take ownership of their roles within each song—to leave their mark. “Once we got into a groove of sending each other sessions, it was this really cool thing where everyone had a way of working on their own time that really helped,” he tells Apple Music. “I think being friends with the guys now and collaborative for so many years, each time we work together, it's like everyone's more confident in their role and I’m more confident in my desire for them to step up and bring something real. I was all about giving up control.”

That shift, Granduciel adds, opened up “new sonic territory” that he couldn’t have seen by himself. And the sense of peace and perspective that came with it was mirrored—if not made possible—by changes in his personal life, namely the birth of his first child. A decade ago, Granduciel would have likely obsessed and fretted over every detail, making himself unwell in the process, “but I wasn't really scared to turn in this record,” he says. “I was excited for it to be out in the world, because it's not so much that you don't care about your work, but it’s just not the most important thing all the time. I was happy with whatever I could contribute, as long as I felt that I had given it my all.” 

Edited by Hopstretch
  • Like 2