What are you listening to Part the Third

Voltron

On 12/8/2021 at 12:25 PM, en480c4 said:

Listening to a playlist I put together of my favorite album closing tracks.  I've found myself really drawn to a lot of these songs lately and I don't know what it is, but artists really have a knack for closing out albums with some amazing songs.

https://music.apple.com/us/playlist/closing-tracks/pl.u-qAqMtzX4e5

This playlist on shuffle rarely disappoints.

Nice list.  And I fully agree with the concept, and have heard musicians say the same.  Deftones maybe?  I think they always try to close out their albums with the best tracks.

FULLY concur with "I Need I Want I Will" by Auf der Maur, that track is SO FRICKIN' EPIC.

I tried to suggest that Al1ce put "Electrical" as the last track on their recent album, As Above, because it had that same "epic" quality to it that I also associate with the best closing tracks to albums, but alas they did not.  (Their choice was more of the "haunting" variety, so I can't complain.)

• Like 1

12 hours ago, skullguise said:

How did I miss this?!

11 hours ago, Dusty Chalk said:

I’m sorry, I missed it too.  And Diana is easily my most played song of the year.  It just goes so hard.

Those songs, as well as Diana, were added to the Apple Music Chelsea Wolfe Essentials Playlist.  I highly recommend it as it includes a number of her collaborations as well... Stuff I would've have easily found otherwise, including Russian Circles, King Dude, Myrkur and Saudade (and of course, Anhedonia with Emma Ruth Rundle).  I love listening to her album-by-album, but this playlist is fantastic if you use Apple Music.

https://music.apple.com/us/playlist/chelsea-wolfe-essentials/pl.b4ec95a5673a47e99d3ceff1979778f0

3 hours ago, dsavitsk said:

812hvH4lY2L._SL1500_.jpg

I tend to listen to Aventine more... I need to go back and listen to this again.

• Like 1

I was at one of my favorite audio stores Tuesday, picking up my KEF subwoofer I had ordered.  The owner had me siting listening to a wonderful system (*) with a new Luxman Class A integrated (only $12k) and Aerial 7T speakers.  We played some lovely things, including a fair bit of Aventine, which sounded just fantastic on the system!

(*) we also talked rooms and system synergy.  He gets it, in a massive way.  When I was in Florida I visited a dealer there who carried McIntosh, Classe, and Focal Kanta & Paradigm Persona speakers.  In systems costing anywhere from $60K to maybe $90K, I thought many aspects of my much less expensive system actually sounded better.  The local dealer talked about how they were likely more theater-based and carried the expensive gear to support the local nouveau riche in Naples FL (of which there are MANY).

• Like 4

1 hour ago, skullguise said:

Oooh, didn't know about Tracey Thorn's album, will definitely listen!  Not the most capable voice, but SO emotive, I love it/her.

BTW, one of my favorite EBTG tracks is "Come On Home" which also has a slight Xmas theme or reference to it.

It’s probably been my favorite holiday album for a few years. Sample below (originally by Dolly Parton). And COH is great.