What are you listening to Part the Third

Voltron

Moving Pictures (40th Anniversary Super Deluxe)

Moving Pictures (40th Anniversary Super Deluxe)
Rush

https://album.link/i/1608979166

Example --  I have been digging the new videos that they have been releasing:

The Super Deluxe is pretty much a very good version of the album and a complete live recording of a 1981 concert (it is an okay recording of the live tracks). 

But always fun to revisit this album - it has been a little while. 

• Like 3

13 hours ago, dsavitsk said:

a3542180948_16.jpg

I can't recommend this highly enough.

https://myrkur.bandcamp.com/album/folkesange

She has quite the varied discography, and unsurprisingly, I love it all.  The iTunes Essential playlist for her gets a lot of plays.  The transition she made from mysterious black metal performer to folk is pretty amazing.  

• Like 1

Me before coughing up to bankroll the continued misadventures of the Commonwealth of Taxachusetts:

x0ZTgns.jpg

Ulrich Schnuass - A Strangely Isolated Place (2003).  The stunning followup to the brilliant Far Away Trains Passing By.  Ulrich managed to outdo himself and that was no mean feat.  Probably the greatest IDM/downtempo/call it what you will album of the Aughts.  I remember when this album came out and I played tracks off it, I'd have (otherwise incredibly narrow minded) drum n bass heads come up to me and ask me "what IS this music?"

Me AFTER the fine state of Taxachusetts is done with me:

nLjEvmE.jpg

The Misfits - Walk Among Us (1982).  As close to a perfect punk rock record as they ever did.  Marred only by an inferior live version of "Mommy, Can I Go Out And Kill Tonight?" vs the much better studio version (which is on Earth A.D.)  Walk Among Us is peak Misfits.  It's the best distillation of Glenn's savant-like ability to take trash 50s and 60s horror and sci-fi and make it iconic.  His unique Demon Elvis bellow is cleaner and more emotive than on Earth A.D.  The production on this album is actually remarkably solid, especially for an early 80s punk album recorded on a shoestring.  There's some clever automatic double tracking on songs like "Devil's Whorehouse" that lend Glenn's vocals this amazing lo-fi psychedelic feel.

3jmynLk.jpg

The Misfits - Earth A.D. (1982).  While inferior to Walk Among Us in nearly every way (except for the previously mentioned "Mommy") this is still a brilliant release.  It's both faster and darker than its predecessor.  There is less of a catchy horror punk sound and more of a metal influence throughout it.  I first got Earth A.D. on cassette at the tender age of 12, during the Reagan years.  That re-issue and most later pressings include "Die, Die My Darling" and "We Bite."   The former is one of the best songs by the Misfits, so to me the album is incompletew without it.  I didn't get a copy of Walk Among Us until '89 when the vinyl got re-issued.  I quickly realized that it was the superior album.  That said Earth A.D. has always held a special place in my heart because it was my introduction to the Misfits.

• Like 2

It's amazing that certain bands from "back then" still have the fanbase among new and younger fans.

One of my ex-neighbors has a son that - when he was all of I think 12 or 13 - had a Misfits t-shirt he would proudly wear.  I found out his mom - a quiet schoolteacher - was actually quite the punk fan in the day and LOVED the Misfits.

My son has also reported to me that two of my favorite bands - Joy Division and The Chameleons - are held in quite high regards by several of his friends too.  So I get to be "cool dad" for a bit 😊

And my old HS friend who died of COVID-related complications was in 2 bands up until he passed; one of them was a Misfits/Danzig cover band....

• Like 2

I went down an 80's rabbit hole.  It surprised me which albums had the most tracks I loved: 

Simple Minds New Gold Dream (81/82/83/84), but not Sparkle in the Rain
Joe Jackson Beat Crazy but not any of the others
Ultravox Vienna (not surprised)
Yello One Second and Stella (not surprised)
Red Guitars Slow to Fade
Wire The Ideal Copy

• Like 4

3 hours ago, swt61 said:

That was one of my favorite albums at that time. A pairing that I never would have imagined, but soooo good!

Yep, it really is. Also one of those soundtrack gems that originated with a film greatly anticipated, hated on release, then forgotten about except when tangents surface ("Spielberg's West Side Story is so much better than Scorsese's New York, New York or Coppola's One from the Heart!", etc.). There's been a few cover revisions and I keep thinking they'll remove the "soundtrack" label. 😇  

• Like 1

e0pY1Sd.jpg

Heyoka - Marklar (2010)

This is an odd "post dubstep" album that absolutely CANED a dozen years ago.  I haven't listened to it since 2013.  Revisting it, it's ...alright, but very much of its era.  TBH it's more "dubstep" than "post."  Heyoka does keep things varied enough that his music never gets monotonously boring like so much dubstep does.  He also varies the tempo all over the place so it's not just a 70 bpm snoozefest.  Where he's really lacking is in synthesis.  I've been spoiled by listening to some of the best sound synthesists artists ...ever (from Geir Jenssen to Oliver Lieb to Boards of Canada).  Heyoka is a softsynth preset patch compared to any of them.  Overall his music is amusing, but there's a reason I don't play much of it on my show.

• Like 1