What are you listening to Part the Third

Voltron

I've listened to several Joy Division things today, including some early material when they went by the name Warsaw.  For several years they were my favorite band, and are still up there in the top 5.....

Probably my favorite song by them is Decades, the last song on the Closer album.  In hindsight, knowing of Ian's suicide, this is such a powerful song to me.  There is a keyboard "solo" towards the end that just sounds so frail...and of course the lyrics are very fateful.....

EDIT: and the first single that new Order had post-JD was Ceremony/In A Lonely Place.  Written while they were still Joy Division....the B-side is also incredibly powerful lyrically and in mood.  Again, especially in hindsight....and it was the last demo ever recorded by the group apparently

Lyrics:

Caressing the marble and stone
Love that was special for one
The waste in the fever and heat
How I wish you were here with me now

Body that curls in and dies
Hardship that often belies
Warm like a dog round your feet
How I wish you were here with me now

Hangman looks round as he waits
Cord stretches tight then it breaks
Someday we will die in your dreams
How I wish we were here with you now

Edited by skullguise
  • Like 4

Patty Gurdy -- Irish electric hurdy-gurdy playing ginger

Her collaboration with symphonic metal band Scardust is fantastic -- I love the Celtic influence

(I love the goofball bassist and silly drummer faces, but I relate more to the way-too-morose guitarist and keyboardist.)

xPropaganda -- 80's band Propaganda reincarnate with ZTT and Stephen Lipsom -- synthpop with MILFs, Dusty like:

• Like 3

Propaganda is one of my all-time favorites.  I'm also enjoying xPropaganda for what it is, but it still pales in comparison to A Secret Wish.  There is some similarity in sound but to me it's more like some of Claudia Brucken solo work mixed with a dose of the original Propaganda.

A fair bit on unspoken controversy around the original band, from the mid-80's through multiple attempts at reunions.  Even now....Ralf Dorper is a member of the FB group for them, and occasionally pops in with some truths, that weren't "installed by the machine."

I really wish they all got along and stayed together, always wonder what could have been.....

On 5/27/2022 at 7:02 AM, skullguise said:

Propaganda is one of my all-time favorites.  I'm also enjoying xPropaganda for what it is, but it still pales in comparison to A Secret Wish.  There is some similarity in sound but to me it's more like some of Claudia Brucken solo work mixed with a dose of the original Propaganda.

Agreed, no argument.

That said, how do I say this?  In the style of Zang Tumb Tuum PR

I'm enjoying it for what it is, rather than not enjoying it for what it is not.

• Like 1

Strauss: Eine Alpensinfonie, Op. 64, TrV 233 (Live)

Rundfunk-Sinfonieorchester Berlin, Vladimir Jurowski

https://album.link/i/1576539630

I liked the recording and performance, but frustrating to listen to on TIDAL (which does not have gapless playback, and this album has 22 tracks). So, there were these little pauses every two to five minutes as it changed tracks. 

So, to sooth myself....

Cool Water And Seventeen Timeless Western Favorites

Cool Water And Seventeen Timeless Western Favorites
Sons Of The Pioneers

https://album.link/i/438067373

aaahhhhh....

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

On 5/29/2022 at 4:47 PM, mikeymad said:

Rundfunk-Sinfonieorchester Berlin, Vladimir Jurowski

https://album.link/i/1576539630

I liked the recording and performance, but frustrating to listen to on TIDAL (which does not have gapless playback, and this album has 22 tracks). So, there were these little pauses every two to five minutes as it changed tracks.

aaahhhhh....

That sucks that you experience it that way, I'm listening to it now via Tidal, and I'm not hearing any gaps.

That said, I have experienced that in the past, and it's maddening, so I sympathize.

Me, some thrash prog:

https://tidal.com/browse/album/217042404

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Dusty Chalk said:

That sucks that you experience it that way, I'm listening to it now via Tidal, and I'm not hearing any gaps.

That said, I have experienced that in the past, and it's maddening, so I sympathize.

Me, some thrash prog:

https://tidal.com/browse/album/217042404

Thanks Dusty - I tested the Album on the mobile App and it plays gapless. I guess they have not gotten that figured out for the website yet (mostly stream from my computer). I just tried and downloaded the Windows app, and it has the same functionality as the website. So, good to know - in the future for continuous playback I will use my phone. I hope that they have it under development for the website/App as well.