What are you listening to Part the Third

Voltron

Warpaint's first EP, Exquisite Corpse -- I'm familiar with about half of it, because of this concert, which I've listened to, about a brazillion times since its release a couple years ago:

You wouldn't think I'd like this, but there's something about this song-oriented laid-back jamband-ish grooviness that carries a very particular charisma for me, hitting me at the same level as doomy stoner.

They also make me think of a less testosterone-y* Black Midi, in their free-form stylings.

*Yes, that probably rhymes with some sort of pasta.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, skullguise said:

^^^ That song and In The City are my two favorites of his.....(especially when the latter was used in The Warriors)

Life's Been Good
Turn to Stone -- all three-ish versions (familiar version from So What, live version from You Can't Argue With a Sick Mind, and the hard version from Barnstorm)
Funk #49
Walk Away
The Bomber
Rivers (of the Hidden Funk)
...thanks, now I think I'm going to have to binge him for a couple songs...

• Like 1

Warning: possible boring content 😉 

Revolver is without a doubt my favorite Beatles album for as long as I can remember. My mom bought me this vinyl when I was barely 12 years old and for many years I have been buying reissues, remasters, rare copies...

Forget all songs and go to "Tomorrow never Knows", turn up the volume on your Blue Hawaii and accommodate your 007... Ringo's drums sound brutal!!!!!

Phil Collins also has a very good version on his Face Value album from 1981.

spacer.png

• Like 10

New release day:

...And You Will Know Us By The Trail of Dead, XI: Bleed Here Now -- prog.  Fantastic!  Nice variety, very much enjoyed.

Black Midi, Hellfire -- I'll be honest, I don't get Black Midi's rambling, free-form style.  I just don't get it.  I enjoyed it alright, but not something I'll ever resonate with.  I'm not a lyrics listener, so that probably has a lot to do with it.

Kekal, Envisaged -- pleasant surprise of the day!  Absolutely ace, more Voivod than Voivod, (except Voivod's guitarist is still amazing)

One from last week I forgot:

Telekinetic Yeti, Primordial -- just a guy with a 7-string guitar and a drummer making music sounding much bigger than any twosome should be able to.  Like a proggier, more stoner White Stripes or Royal Blood.

• Like 4

On 7/15/2022 at 1:34 PM, jose said:

Warning: possible boring content 😉 

Revolver is without a doubt my favorite Beatles album for as long as I can remember. My mom bought me this vinyl when I was barely 12 years old and for many years I have been buying reissues, remasters, rare copies...

Forget all songs and go to "Tomorrow never Knows", turn up the volume on your Blue Hawaii and accommodate your 007... Ringo's drums sound brutal!!!!!

Phil Collins also has a very good version on his Face Value album from 1981.

spacer.png

Not boring at all. I have gone back and forth between Revolver and Rubber Soul over the years. I like the innovations in both with Rubber being the start of some and Revolver being the refinement of others.

Midnight

Midnight
Ludovico Einaudi

https://album.link/i/1561676390

Example:

After seeing his Tiny Desk Concert, the other day I had to go back and listen to some of the other albums. This is one that I like, and I would use an extended version to relax to while I would work. 

• Like 1

Turn Up The Quiet

Turn Up The Quiet
Diana Krall

https://album.link/i/1440880927

Example:

One of the few albums I didn't own by her. It is good, a little overshadowed in my head by the other great albums. But it will go into my Diana Rotation.

Edit - I just noticed the mcintosh turntable mt10 on the table with her. Spinning some Ella and Duke Verve wax. No idea where the speakers are.

Edited by mikeymad
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, mikeymad said:

Digging the pre-Asia project  -- U.K.

U.K.

U.K.
U.K.

https://album.link/i/724148107

Example (part of a longer track):

John Wetton, Bill Bruford, Eddie Jobson and Allan Holdsworth. 

So great.  The second album -- Danger Money -- is entirely different -- trio:  Eddie Jobson, John Wetton, and Terry Bozzio, but still worth hearing.  I'm definitely a fan of both albums, but Holdsworth was mad good.

• Like 1