What are you listening to Part the Third

Voltron

NOT TiGHT

NOT TiGHT
DOMi & JD BECK

https://album.link/i/1629568944

I don't normally have album anticipation, but this is one of the few times I have. It is not officially released until the 29th, but Tidal thinks it is tomorrow. I have been following these jazz kids for a while and they just released their first album. They have some heavy backing with Herbie Hancock and Anderson .Paak. They have a unique sound with DOMi laying down the lead and bass with JD doing something new on drums. People talk about the future of Jazz and a JD Beck sound. Regardless, it is a diverse and enjoyable album. It will be interesting to watch them develop. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Nina Nastasia - Riderless Horse

512x512bb.jpg&w=1920&q=75

I've listened to a few tunes by Domi and JD... Mixed feelings. She's got a nice harmonic feeling and makes interesting melodies. His drumming is very impressive at first, those fast sixtuplets or 32th notes are amazing, but too much of a good thing becomes tiring to me. Maybe listening to the whole album I get a better idea. On the other hand all this media exposure they're getting, and the big names in their recording, makes me think if this is some sort of new product.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Torpedo said:

Nina Nastasia - Riderless Horse

512x512bb.jpg&w=1920&q=75

I've listened to a few tunes by Domi and JD... Mixed feelings. She's got a nice harmonic feeling and makes interesting melodies. His drumming is very impressive at first, those fast sixtuplets or 32th notes are amazing, but too much of a good thing becomes tiring to me. Maybe listening to the whole album I get a better idea. On the other hand all this media exposure they're getting, and the big names in their recording, makes me think if this is some sort of new product.

I like it, but it’s definitely not my favorite of her albums. I think On Leaving is my favorite, and Blackened Air probably is what probably hooked me oringinally. And her album with Jim White is also quite good as well. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Voltron said:

I recommend watching this whole series to really learn about the world of yacht rock.

If the VHS pixelation is too much for you, connect to the internet using your best oxygen free copper cables, and its like a veil has been lifted ...

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Not to break up the yacht club.

Mahler: Symphony No. 4

Mahler: Symphony No. 4
Berliner Philharmoniker, Yannick Nézet-Séguin, Christiane Karg

https://album.link/t/192090136

No example, but you can check it out on your streaming service. You do have a streaming service, don't you? Don't You?

I don't know this piece that well, but I really like it. Lovely melodies and flow. I will check out some classic performances of this as well. I have always had mixed feelings of Mahler's work; some are just too much of nothing, and others not enough. 

• Like 1

About Mahler. I recommend this.

Honestly, Mahler is not my favorite composer and I don´t like Rattle's style, but in this symphony... (although it´s not completely composed by Mahler), some times I feel the fear of death that torment to the composer. He knew he was dying.

Honestly, the first time I listened to it, I got scared... Edit: It sounds a bit stupid, but I wouldn't know how to define the strange feeling it caused me.

spacer.png

Edited by jose
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1