What are you listening to Part the Third

Voltron

Timber

Timber
Bryan Rahija

https://album.link/i/1568000393

Example:

Another new artist. Solo Acoustic Guitar. I decided to share a live track to give an idea of his playing technique. I liked this a lot. The focus on melody over flashy techniques makes it very listenable for an album. There are great musicians out there (I am looking at you candyrat records), that way over use techniques over melody. 

• Like 2

When I was living in Port Aransas, TX., I got a phone call from a friend one evening.  He told me that Leon Russell was going to be playing in the courtyard of a local restaurant in a few minutes. I thought he was joking, as the population of that town was less than 2000.

Of course I hurried over. No entry fee at all, and sure enough Mr. Russell showed up. There were less than 20 people in attendance, and most seemed to care less. I couldn't believe it. I was a big fan, and it was sad to see him in this situation. 

I heard that shortly after that Leon Russell stopped touring all together.  I heard that Elton had quite a time convincing him to record with him. Luckily he persisted, and he eventually won him over. The album was a critical success, which I think did a lot for Leon's self image.

• Like 6

Blue Train: The Complete Masters

Blue Train: The Complete Masters
John Coltrane

https://album.link/i/1636572781

Example:

A good expansion set of a classic album. I like the addition of the alt takes (like the example). It really makes me think, how did they pick the one for the original album? They just liked it better?, because they all rip and they are different. I don't really need the mono versions, I listened to a couple of the mono tracks and compared them to the stereo, and I way prefer the stereo mix. And not just for the soundstage, but the dynamics. There are times when mono mixes are the ones to listen to. This one was not for me.

I will probably use this set for future listening though, to have those extra tracks from the '57 sessions are gold for me.

• Like 5

Had to break out my decoder ring to decipher that post, but I think I understand now.

I really need a Roon, Spotify, Tidal, Qobuz tutorial. I still don't quite understand Roon endpoint and such. But my Dad was having trouble operating the Mr. Coffee machine in his 50's, so comparatively I guess I'm doing OK.

6 hours ago, Torpedo said:

^What's your favourite or in the worst case just "goto"?

Ummm difficult.... They are all excellent musicians

For his cheerful character, that of Yo Yo Ma. 

Casals, Rostropovich, Fournier (recorded in Basle Cathedral), Schiff, Bylsma and the Maisky´s first record, they all seem perfect to me in terms of virtuosity, although I wouldn't know which one to choose... perhaps Bylsma's version. On a technical level, I admit that I feel more attracted to "modern" recordings, so the Casals and Fournier recordings are the ones I listen to the least. 

Gavriel Lipkind and Queyras are perfect for me and on a technical level their recordings are simply spectacular (Queyras' version is recorded at the Eglise Saint-Cyriak and I think I remember that the engineer used DT990s). Both are very careful recordings and their presentation is extraordinary (it is worth the money it costs)

Wispelwey I have always thought that it is the most correct "temporarily" since it uses a Baroque cello with "gut strings" (cuerdas de tripa, I don't know if the expression is correct) and I like to think that, if Bach ever got to hear his pieces, it would be with one of these instruments (perhaps I'm wrong).

But the one I like the most and my first choice is Maisky's second recording. He is energetic and makes me feel very happy. It is very different from all... comparing his two recordings I feel like he evolved from an instrument virtuoso to a musician. 

I really like when something is recorded in cathedrals or churches... these places provide spectacular acoustics.

Like allways, excuse my poor english and be soooo boring 😞  

Edited by jose
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Pitchfork updated its list of top songs and albums from the '90s. I like the idea of going back and redoing the tier lists a decade after they made the first set of them.

I've been slowly working through the songs list.

Top 250 Songs: https://pitchfork.com/features/lists-and-guides/the-best-songs-of-the-1990s/

Top 150 Albums: https://pitchfork.com/features/lists-and-guides/the-best-albums-of-the-1990s/

• Like 1

On 9/27/2022 at 4:41 PM, jose said:

Ummm difficult.... They are all excellent musicians

For his cheerful character, that of Yo Yo Ma. 

Casals, Rostropovich, Fournier (recorded in Basle Cathedral), Schiff, Bylsma and the Maisky´s first record, they all seem perfect to me in terms of virtuosity, although I wouldn't know which one to choose... perhaps Bylsma's version. On a technical level, I admit that I feel more attracted to "modern" recordings, so the Casals and Fournier recordings are the ones I listen to the least. 

Gavriel Lipkind and Queyras are perfect for me and on a technical level their recordings are simply spectacular (Queyras' version is recorded at the Eglise Saint-Cyriak and I think I remember that the engineer used DT990s). Both are very careful recordings and their presentation is extraordinary (it is worth the money it costs)

Wispelwey I have always thought that it is the most correct "temporarily" since it uses a Baroque cello with "gut strings" (cuerdas de tripa, I don't know if the expression is correct) and I like to think that, if Bach ever got to hear his pieces, it would be with one of these instruments (perhaps I'm wrong).

But the one I like the most and my first choice is Maisky's second recording. He is energetic and makes me feel very happy. It is very different from all... comparing his two recordings I feel like he evolved from an instrument virtuoso to a musician. 

I really like when something is recorded in cathedrals or churches... these places provide spectacular acoustics.

Like allways, excuse my poor english and be soooo boring 😞  

First of all, never boring talking about your favourite music and your English is fine.

Secondly -- I agree with you about cathedrals or churches!  I saw Árstíðir in a church (and I didn't burst into flame!), the acoustics were rich and lush and just delicious!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1