What are you listening to Part the Third

Voltron

Darkroom

Darkroom
Sadie Campbell

https://album.link/i/1581693500

Example:

New Artist to me. This is just an EP - and looking around she has not released an 'album' yet. So, I listened to all the tracks that she has on Tidal (10 total). The example above caught my interest with her power, gravel, lilt and tone. But this following track really impressed me.

Needless to say, I am now following this artist. 

• Like 1

Another new artist to me - another strong voice.

five seconds flat

five seconds flat
Lizzy McAlpine

https://album.link/i/1604657567

Example:

I started to this listen to this a while ago, but it took me three days to get past the first song (above). It hooked me hard. Lyrics, voice, production (soundstage and close mic), and the use of silence was so well done. I had to switch from my daily listening on Bluetooth over to my AT L3000s to dig past the layers. And I was rewarded. 

Finally getting through the album and there is more of the same. I have not heard the use of pauses and silence so effectively since discovering Chris Thile and ‎Nickel Creek. There is something so captivating about bringing a song completely to a stop, makes me lean in and take notice as to what is next. So much more satisfyingly than throwing a wall of sound at me with all pots maxed. 

Needless to say this will go into heavy rotation for a while. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Lasse Thoresen's Lyden av Arktis (The Sound of the Arctic) from 2L. It's "an acoustic atlas: a musical expedition that reaches as far into the Earth’s interior as it does into our minds and souls. It stands both as a multi-dimensional cultural and historical fable and as an environmental statement — with a breadth that envelops hope, beauty and nature’s untamed forces, beginning with the Arctic wind’s warning whisper, and ending with humankind’s inevitable apocalypse." That last part signals how good this also would be for scary, loud, trick-or-treating music.

vgf7hg-lassethore-preview-m3.thumb.jpg.3304f154e7a8f66d1efbb58bb8ad8567.jpg

Ex:

Edited by blessingx
  • Like 1

Remember That You Will Die

Remember That You Will Die
Polyphia

https://album.link/i/1651208826

Example:

I was wondering if they were going to put something out soon, since they have been releasing a few tracks over the last year. Well here it is, and it does not disappoint. There is much Polyphia goodness here. There are a lot of notes being played in a 40 minute session. A handful of guest artists, so not all instrumentals, including the Steve Via collab (posted before).  I still really like the Playing God track, but I am really digging the Example- Chimera track on repeat now. I will have to take a listening break for a bit to recover my note quota, these tracks are rewarding to deep listening. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1