What are you listening to Part the Third

Voltron

I know many don't like Country music, and think it simple, hillbilly prose. And a lot of it is forgettable to be honest. But in the same way that I love early blues music, I love early country music. It's the blues of the blue collar worker. It tells of the struggle of the common man (me), and the best of it does it poetically and gracefully. 

Bobbie Gentry is an artist that never got the respect she deserves in my mind. In 1967, a time when "girl singers" were singing about standing by their man, and overlooking his faults, Bobbie Gentry penned "Ode to Billie Joe". A song about two teenagers that had a secret affair, got pregnant, hid it, then threw the newborn baby over a bridge to keep from being discovered. Then the boy commits suicide, because he can't live with what he's done. And she delivered that song with poetry and grace.

Three years later she penned the song "Fancy", about a poor "white trash", sickly mother and her two children. One a starving infant, and the other a girl on the cusp of womanhood. The mother knows she's dying, and the only way she knows to give her daughter a chance at a better life, is to dress her up and "turn her out". I don't mean kick her out. Turning someone out is a phrase popularized by pimps, meaning to make the woman they've been grooming start turning tricks.

How this woman managed to get any songs published at that time is amazing enough. Only a very few women were taken seriously as song writers. But to convince a producer to publish songs of such a serious, taboo nature is almost miraculous back then.

Worth a listen if you're not familiar.

48f2543d-ad60-4650-be95-54fb3a3dd2bb_1.fa4581c257f7a1eb571eb9312200ab66.jpeg

Edited by swt61
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Pink Floyd - Animals (2018 Remaster)

632x632bb.webp

I hadn’t listened to this album front to back in years but this new remix had me dipping back in.

It sounds great. This album rocks.

Shame these guys still don’t get along with each other to this day (supposedly this was delayed from Roger and David fighting over the liner notes?). They had such a unique sound together. IMO the worst of the Floyd albums is better than any of David or Roger’s solo work.

• Like 8

^^ Animals and Wish You Were Here are the only albums I still love from them that are post-~1972 (Meddle).  I tend to favor the Barrett-era Floyd the most, but those two are masterpieces IMO.

That said, I DO think some of David's solo work is awesome too.  But I wouldn't argue with your assessment overall....

• Like 1

50yo 

Talking Book

Talking Book
Stevie Wonder

https://album.link/i/1440485202

Example:

He had two albums in '72 - This one is the one to listen to (the other Music of My Mind). Two big hits on this with You Are The Sunshine Of My Life and Superstition with the latter being a killer track to this day. But, I definitely been missing out on some additional sweet tracks. It is a mix of good funk (example track that I wanted to share) and super soft tracks (You and I), showing future directions into 'I just called to say I love you'. I don't mind the mix, but I would have had different order of the tracks. The slow downs are too slow, it takes the energy out of the flow, where it should just give you a break and transition into the next track. Superstition should be on a rise to a peek, not the start of a rise. Small complaint, enjoyable album. 

And of course it ends with a track from one of my favorite movies:

There are a lot of rules.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, mikeymad said:

Zero She Flies

Zero She Flies
Al Stewart

https://album.link/i/340107757

Example:

Not an album I knew from Al. There is another album other than 'Year of The Cat'? Yup. Simple and layered songs, with some having a Jethro Tull feel. 

Yup, there's Year of the Cat, Time Passages, and...uh...

...oh wait, there's the live album.

Okay, that's all I know.

^ literally, just one of my favorite albums of all time. When it came out in the early 80s on Windham Hill records, it blew my mind. I didn't know that music like that could exist and be played by one person on one piano. Same thing happened when I heard Michael Hedges playing the guitar. Happy to have had the chance to see both of them live back in the day. Thanks for the reminder Ric.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, mikeymad said:

^ literally, just one of my favorite albums of all time. When it came out in the early 80s on Windham Hill records, it blew my mind. I didn't know that music like that could exist and be played by one person on one piano. Same thing happened when I heard Michael Hedges playing the guitar. Happy to have had the chance to see both of them live back in the day. Thanks for the reminder Ric.

I literally just posted elsewhere that his version (seen him live regularly on his December circuits) of Carol of the Bells is one of the few examples of Xmas music I can stand.  I could have taken this video -- this angle is literally what I remember most about him -- always tried to get a seat slightly to stage right so that I could see him play.

What's funny is that my style of improvising on the piano is very similar -- I distinctly remember that feeling of "running out of keyboard" at the top and just playing the same riff over and over until I could figure out a way to unpaint myself out of the corner.  😆

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

After watching this last night, I wanted to listen to some more ELO:

I didn't know this one that well. I don't think I ever owned it. 

Not 50yo yet - but close. 

Electric Light Orchestra II

Electric Light Orchestra II
Electric Light Orchestra

https://album.link/i/1054523017

Example:

Longer songs than most, but they also have the classic Jeff signature. From Arguably an honorary Beatle. 

Edited by mikeymad
  • Like 4

A couple albums with the same title and many of the same family members - American Folk Songs for Christmas by Mike, Peggy & Penny Seeger and their families and American Folk Songs for Christmas by The Seeger Sisters. "Ruth Crawford Seeger (1901-1953), distinguished musician, noted music educator and authority on folk music has assembled a collection of songs from the old-time Christmas, before Santa Claus came to America and neatly trimmed fir trees bloomed with tinsel." Also when Christmas was January 6th.  

il_1588xN.4401214115_lk7h.thumb.jpg.91d542b5af2c6933b9bcc221405ad239.jpg

FW07553.thumb.jpg.47521aa45b6a7020b2973270672252ca.jpg

Ex. 

Bonus track for the Dukes of Hazzard fans. Your wish has come true - Bo and Luke singing Baby, it's Cold Outside to each other. 

• Like 2