What are you listening to Part the Third

Voltron

On 3/9/2023 at 5:51 PM, Knuckledragger said:

VmwOd57.jpg

Napalm Death - From Enslavement To Obliteration remaster (2012)

Mbc8F4J.jpg

Napalm Death - Scum 25th anniversary remaster (2012)

Remastering proto grindcore strikes me as a silly idea.  I had both of the above albums on cassette in the late 1980s.  At that point Napalm Death were considered a death metal and/or hadcore band.  I think it was nearly a decade later until I heard the term "grindcore."  I downloaded a LUFS app for OSX yesterday and I'm going to run some of these remasters through it.  ND is an amusing band, but they're not really my cuppa these days.  With that said, one of their founded members went on to form a group I really like:

0YQHgBO.jpg

Godflesh - Streetcleaner 2CD remaster (2010).  This really is one of the heaviest albums I've ever heard.  I remember first hearing on college radio in '89.  That was a time period when: (A) I was listening to a lot of metal.  (B) I was listening to a lot of college radio.  (C) Both were experiencing a renaissance.  Revisiting Streetcleaner, it has aged like a fine, dystopian industrial metal wine.  

7YNyYRr.jpg

Godflesh - Slavestate, original 1991 version.  There is a 2013 remaster, but I have not heard it.  An almost funky and danceable EP compared to the mechanical gloom of the previous album.  I actually didn't like it much when I first got in '91, but it's now one of my favorite releases by the band.  

I did not plan this, but every (non ambient) album I've listen to in the last month has been on Earache records.  Funny what a hugely significant label they are for extreme music.

Could this be why you are such a happy chappy?

So, I have made some progress on my project (Re: Prokofiev Concerto #1):

image.png

I have made a secondary pass for all the above, plus a new one that I found - which is a good one:

image.png

I didn't start an elimination process yet. But I did get rid of two of them because there was a flaw in the streaming version. For some reason, at least on TIDAL, they are jacked up.

image.png

image.png

Not that these are bad performances or recordings, but as soon as the issues were present (a buzzing in one, and strange warbling dropouts in the other) I knew that I would not turn to them again. And they were not at the top of my list either. 

For the rest of them, I have put them in my initial ranking order, and I am going to make a final pass. Starting from the lower rankings and work my way up, I will make my final adjustments from there. I have also been going up the listening chain as well as I continue to refine my selections. I started with just my JBL Tune 125 bluetooth earbuds, running either off my laptop or phone. They worked well. For this current batch, I used my ETY-ER4 running out of the Alienware M17 AMD, which I have discovered has a very good headphone out. The final listening sessions will be running my full desktop rig - HEOS -> Marantz model 40n -> Stax SRD7 -> Stax SR-007. So I am going for increasing levels of resolution to dig deeper.

I have not posted much in here - but this is the reason why.

Back to work. :horsey:

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

In the beatbox music scene there is so much emphasis on battles. Hiss from this 4some going on to win the BBU22 competition. 

This is a good example of what could happen if there is a colab. 

I could see more of this coming forward if this gets traction.

Ed - link just in case you want to see how it works just as music - https://song.link/i/1661507267

Edited by mikeymad

6 hours ago, HiWire said:

Kate Bush – The Sensual World

spacer.png

There's a very cute movie, She's Having A Baby; very clever IMO and I enjoyed both Kevin Bacon and Elizabeth McGovern in it.  Kate's song This Woman's Work is very wonderfully placed in that movie.

EDIT: the whole soundtrack is actually quite good.

Edited by skullguise
  • Like 2

316x316bb.webp

U2 - Songs of Surrender

U2 unplugged... or at least Bono and Edge unplugged because the other two didn't really participate.

Some of it is decent, some of it is quite bad, all of it feels unnecessary. I still love these guys but everything they've released for the last 20 years has left me feeling disappointed.

I still want to see them live in Vegas later this year though.

• Like 1

On 3/21/2023 at 11:50 AM, TMoney said:

316x316bb.webp

U2 - Songs of Surrender

U2 unplugged... or at least Bono and Edge unplugged because the other two didn't really participate.

Some of it is decent, some of it is quite bad, all of it feels unnecessary. I still love these guys but everything they've released for the last 20 years has left me feeling disappointed.

I still want to see them live in Vegas later this year though.

I started listening to the Surrender book. I am not sure that counts here. It is like 20 hours long though.

• Like 1