What are you listening to Part the Third

Voltron

Cleaning up my queue a little bit. I was listening to this when I read about Tina, so that occupied my queue for a while. 

Beethoven: Violin Sonatas Nos. 4, 9 & 10

Beethoven: Violin Sonatas Nos. 4, 9 & 10
Andrew Wan, Charles Richard-Hamelin

https://album.link/i/1581150773

Example:

Not great - but really good. I guess that is not really fair, I did like it enough to listen to it twice. I don't know the Label or the performers. It is well recorded with a very live feel. 

Phantasmagoria or a Different Kind of Journey

Phantasmagoria or a Different Kind of Journey
Eivind Aarset

https://album.link/i/1575767827

Example:

Holy smokes that was cool. 

The info just talked about him being a guitarist, not an amazing composer and crafter of sounds.  Added to my list of people.

Now:

The Trinity Session

The Trinity Session
Cowboy Junkies

https://album.link/i/299789347

Example:

Famous in my world for all its audiophile goodness.  I had been thinking about it ever since listening to Le Ren. It holds up for all the right reasons. An Incredible recording and just a super cool performance. 

Okay - caught up.

• Like 4

My favorite Cowboy Junkies album is Caution Horses.  Not as well recorded as The Trinity Sessions, but I like the music  more.  Sun Comes Up It's Tuesday Morning is just a beautiful stream of consciousness gritty song, and 'Cause Cheap Is How I Feel evokes a ton of feeling as well....

There was a newer release in the last few years, called Sharon, that has some of the first recordings from the album; it was a failed attempt to do similar single-mic recording as Trinity, but the space wasn't as good.  Just some interesting stories around the making of the record....

Of course, I was in love with Margo Timmins too, so that helps the enjoyment 🙂

• Like 5

Since I was thinking about it.

Candy-O (Expanded Edition)

The Cars

https://album.link/i/1088527319

Example:

Maybe it was the album cover and my young teen years that made me think about this album more.  🤓 But it was more unfamiliar than I thought. The first 4 tracks for sure were solid in my memory, so my brother must have played the first side a lot. Being '79 this had a much more 80s feel than I thought it would. Enjoyable with some gems in there, but not has cohesive as their first effort. The expanded edition just gives some other goodies and a few mixes that are fun enough.

I do like the story that they brought Vargas out of retirement at 83 years of age to create the iconic cover. 

• Like 5

And then you're in the man from Mars
You go out at night eatin' cars
You eat Cadillacs, Lincolns too
Mercurys and Subaru
And you don't stop, you keep on eatin' cars
Then, when there's no more cars you go out at night
And eat up bars where the people meet

71MU3p0CQKL._UF1000,1000_QL80_.jpg

ex.

• Like 6

4 hours ago, mikeymad said:

Since I was thinking about it.

The Cars

https://album.link/i/1088527319

Example:

Maybe it was the album cover and my young teen years that made me think about this album more.  🤓 But it was more unfamiliar than I thought. The first 4 tracks for sure were solid in my memory, so my brother must have played the first side a lot. Being '79 this had a much more 80s feel than I thought it would. Enjoyable with some gems in there, but not has cohesive as their first effort. The expanded edition just gives some other goodies and a few mixes that are fun enough.

I do like the story that they brought Vargas out of retirement at 83 years of age to create the iconic cover. 

The big difference between the first album and Candy-O is that they got a little more new-wavier.  But it's still an insanely solid effort for That Difficult Sophomore Album.

• Like 1

Bully - Lucky For You

What can I say? I'm a sucker for alt-pop. I dig her sound and I'm excited to dig through her back catalog.

I guess I missed my chance to see her on tour as she was opening for the Pixies who I think have already come through town.

316x316bb.webp

• Like 4

19 hours ago, blessingx said:

And then you're in the man from Mars
You go out at night eatin' cars
You eat Cadillacs, Lincolns too
Mercurys and Subaru
And you don't stop, you keep on eatin' cars
Then, when there's no more cars you go out at night
And eat up bars where the people meet

Blondie_-_Rapture.png

I bought this 7" at Kmart when I was 7 years old.

(I believe I bought the Theme from the Greatest American Hero the same day)

Joey_Scarbury_Believe_It_or_Not.jpg

• Like 6
  • Haha 1