Jump to content
Voltron

What are you listening to Part the Third

Recommended Posts

qldSuLq.jpg

Sarah P. - Who Am I (2017).  Sarah Psalti was the original singer for Keep Shelly In Athens, who were (for an all too brief moment in time) the best thing under the entire chillwave umbrella.  She left KSIA years ago and her solo work has been ...not of the same calibre.  Hey 2015 EP "Free" was so bad I felt embarrassed for her.  The collaborative projects she did with other artists weren't very good either.  I stopped paying attention for a few years and she's put out a fair amount of new material including a full length that came out 2 years ago.

All I can say is ho lee shit the loudness war is over and Sarah won.  Even after running the entire album through ReplayGain in Foobar (which does fuck-all for dynamic range but does at least turn the gain down to non-earbleed levels) I can barely listen to it.  This album is physically fatiguing for me to listen to.  This is shame as the music is sort of not horrible.  It's far better than her earlier EPs and varied enough to keep it interesting.  

The mastering engineer that worked on needs to be taken out back and shot.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
I ordered two CDs. I like this kind of trio's (piano, bass and drum). Not as good as my E.S.T but very pleasant.
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, jose said:
On 7/12/2019 at 9:01 PM, Dusty Chalk said:
 

I ordered two CDs. I like this kind of trio's (piano, bass and drum). Not as good as my E.S.T but very pleasant.

GoGo Penguin?  Yeah, they're pretty great.  I really dig GoGo Penguin, this is the kind of music I tend to make.  It sounds like jazz, but it's not really improvised.

Everyone compares them to Esbjörn Svensson Trio, I should probably listen to them. 

Me, now:  probably the standout from the above four collections of "heavy psych" -- to me, this is more Krautrock/the sounds of friends just sitting around jamming melodically:

https://heavypsychsoundsrecords.bandcamp.com/album/mother-engine-hangar

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes, I means GoGo Penguin. 

E.S.T. I think they "created" a specific subgenre of Jazz, something between pure improvisation and a well-studied sound. In the same style you can listen to Tingvall Trio (others that should have been the new E.S.T), Avishai Cohen Trio, Helge Lien Trio ...
 

Right now I am listening to one of my latest acquisitions. Tord Gustavsen Trio "The Other Side"

Edit: I'm not sure why the links in the images do not work

Edited by jose
link
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Knuckledragger said:

qldSuLq.jpg

Sarah P. - Who Am I (2017).  Sarah Psalti was the original singer for Keep Shelly In Athens, who were (for an all too brief moment in time) the best thing under the entire chillwave umbrella.  She left KSIA years ago and her solo work has been ...not of the same calibre.  Hey 2015 EP "Free" was so bad I felt embarrassed for her.  The collaborative projects she did with other artists weren't very good either.  I stopped paying attention for a few years and she's put out a fair amount of new material including a full length that came out 2 years ago.

All I can say is ho lee shit the loudness war is over and Sarah won.  Even after running the entire album through ReplayGain in Foobar (which does fuck-all for dynamic range but does at least turn the gain down to non-earbleed levels) I can barely listen to it.  This album is physically fatiguing for me to listen to.  This is shame as the music is sort of not horrible.  It's far better than her earlier EPs and varied enough to keep it interesting.  

The mastering engineer that worked on needs to be taken out back and shot.

What are you listening to?  I'm streaming it from the BandCamp page, and it's not particularly bad.  It's a bit bright, but...Yamaha NS10 bright, not brickwall distortion bright.  And yes, fatiguing, but not the worst I've heard (the worst I've heard is The Cross' Justice).  I even ran it through Audacity (using SoundFlower) to analyze it, and it doesn't look particularly heinous:

 

sarahp.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes, of course I started listening to it because of the cover.  It's actually more progressive than stoner, I don't think I could listen to this at work -- it would take up too much of my brain.  But I do like it quite much.  Lots of changes and unorthodox chord progressions.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Underrated. She had some amazing hits.

tmisa7017.jpg

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Two bands I saw last night:

Holy Fawn dirges prettily -- listen to the first couple of seconds, if that doesn't hook you in, then it's not for you -- "Loud Heavy Pretty Noises" is pretty spot on -- imagine a more metally Sigur Ros.

https://holyfawn.bandcamp.com/

Vasudeva are pretty much what I said, whimsical mathrock:

https://vasudeva.bandcamp.com/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It has got Daniel Lanois, Rhiannon Giddens, Willie Nelson, D'Angelo, etc. etc.

It is brilliant. No knowledge of the game required to enjoy.

320x320.jpg

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

2016 Atomized – The Raveonettes

I've only got Chain Gain of Love and Pretty In Black, so this is a big update for me... the Raveonettes' latest album sounds much more modern, to my ears. A lot of ear candy in this first listen.

raveonettes_2016_atomized.jpg?1487263470

Edited by HiWire
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/19/2019 at 4:45 AM, Dusty Chalk said:

Yes, of course I started listening to it because of the cover.  It's actually more progressive than stoner, I don't think I could listen to this at work -- it would take up too much of my brain.  But I do like it quite much.  Lots of changes and unorthodox chord progressions.

Wow!!!!!!

Not only chord changes and progressions; different voices, rhythm changes … I want this album right now!!! 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I dig it. Thanks @Dusty Chalk.

Edit: have I professed my love of this album here yet? These Swedish kids are so cute, and they've put out one of the strongest debut albums I've ever heard. Track 6, Yggdrasil, is the only song in the world that makes me tear up every other time I hear it. Also, despite what the horrible/awesome name would suggest, they are not all dudes.

 

Edited by acidbasement
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Beautiful voice and IMO a beautiful woman...

 

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

^^^ My son is ultra-hyped for this.....and even more so for the new album!

Edited by skullguise
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, skullguise said:

 new album!

:postjack::popcorn::doghuh::sadcat:

Me:  been listening to this:

 

It's kind of all over the place stylistically.  I've been listening to the Contemporary Psychedelic playlist on Tidal, and I almost forgot that I wasn't listening to it.  I dig it.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

^^ They have a couple of very cool songs. I have added them to my list of upcoming purchases.

Yesterday I received the four albums of Gogo Penguin. :popcorn:

"Fanfares" (reléase 2012)  

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSmzrSI36spDibFcRh-m-8

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×