And now what did you do TODAY?

morphsci

Congrats, Birgir!

I had another one of those unexpected home nightmares (wiring at the fuse box that was fizzing and popping) that resulted in hiring an electrician at post-5PM rates. At least I had no fire. Now, I need to get him back during the day hours to check all the wiring. In the past few months, I had replace the refrigerator and water heater, and get major work done on my car. I'm feeling poor.

That really sucks Vicki!

If I might be so bold as to ask, what was it that placed a far and distant second place to your masterpiece?

We weren't told what cake was in second place as there wasn't a price for that spot. All of the other cakes were a variation of the "standard" skyr cake though. That one has an oatmeal based bottom and with a thick layer of skyr/cream combo on top. Some of them played off that by adding layers but the basic setup was the same. This makes for a rather bland cake and you need to mix the flavors a bit. Having one layer sweet while another is sour makes for a great whole.

We have been getting complaints all day that the cake is just too damn complicated to make. While this is pretty standard fare for us that isn't true for other bakeries here so I get their point. I also believe that the whole point of a competition is to push the envelope and encourage people to try something new instead of just doing the same old time and time again. This one is also pretty cheap in terms of the materials used and the only "E" substance used is titanium dioxide for the white ganace plus the E300 which is always mixed into the flour.

One interesting thing about skyr since it is at the heart of this cake. When the Brittish "invasion" force landed here in May 1940 they were very badly supplied and needed food from day one. One of the things they were given was skyr and they didn't have a clue what to do with it. Many tried to fry it or do other stupid things to it. You can imagine what happens when you try to fry egg whites... :)

This one is also pretty cheap in terms of the materials used and the only "E" substance used is titanium dioxide for the white ganace plus the E300 which is always mixed into the flour.

Titanium dioxide is often used as a sunscreen - perhaps you can also market your ganache to slather on your skin as a tasty sunscreen!

One interesting thing about skyr since it is at the heart of this cake. When the Brittish "invasion" force landed here in May 1940 they were very badly supplied and needed food from day one. One of the things they were given was skyr and they didn't have a clue what to do with it. Many tried to fry it or do other stupid things to it. You can imagine what happens when you try to fry egg whites... :)

What would you expect? After all, the British don't exactly have a great track record when it comes to combining food ingredients and heat to produce gourmet food. :D

I must admit, as an Englishman (well Geordie) that Scotland has reputedly the worst food. They have the highest incidence of heart attacks and the lowest life expectency in the British Isles. They have a particularly heart congesting option at the fish and chip shop - battered and deep fried Mars Bar. For those who don't know what a Mars Bar is - it is a sort of chocolate filling, with a caramel top, all inside a chocolate coat. About 3 x 1 x 1 inch. And very good they are in moderation - but battered and then deep fried is a Scottish speciality, to be taken on the way home from the pub.

And now I'm buckling up to come under fire from the Scots on the forum :chair:

Proper Scottish cuisine would have fuck all to do with deep fried, battered confectionary. Scotland has some of the best food in the world imo. Haggis being the ambassador.

Same way that Italian cuisine would have fuck all do to with anything calling itself "pizza" but which has tikka chicken, sweetcorn and pineapple on top of it and a doughy tasteless base as thick as 4 slices of Hovis.

Proper Scottish cuisine would have fuck all to do with deep fried, battered confectionary. Scotland has some of the best food in the world imo. Haggis being the ambassador.

Same way that Italian cuisine would have fuck all do to with anything calling itself "pizza" but which has tikka chicken, sweetcorn and pineapple on top of it and a doughy tasteless base as thick as 4 slices of Hovis.

I was just trying to get a rise, Doug ;D

I succeeded....

i ended up going home early. just getting to physical therapy required half my PT session to be spent helping me recover from the trip (it's something like half a mile, going through the buildings; outside is just too dangerous on crutches, right now).

:(

... and you're not still disabled? Sheesh!

Absurdly busy. Yesterday I helped my friend and former roommate move from Peoria to Muscatine, IA. Then drove back to Chicago. All in all, about 6 hours in the car coupled with moving crap up 3 flights of stairs. Today I'm headed downtown to Michigan Ave for a while with my friend and then we're hitting up Binny's and possibly Goose Island Clybourn in Lincoln Park.

Less than a week before classes start. Better enjoy the last of my free time.