And now what did you do TODAY?

morphsci

Yesterday - got my glasses damaged at work. Hopefully, my shop can fix them. The work has reimbursement for these sort of things, but only pays up to $250, which won't come close to covering the cost of a replacement pair if they can't be fixed.

Today - went out to a local Borders store with my daughter to see if there were anything worthwhile on sale/discount/etc. I did manage to find few books for her but nothing for myself or the wife. I didn't stick around too long as the place was really crowded and it was getting worse.

After spending one week limping around shopping malls for a dress and shoes for our annual fund raising event at Mara-lago, and not finding anything under $400 that I'd wear (and that's before needed alterations), I'm on my way to the gala right now in full defiance mode, wearing a $89 beach dress with orthopedic sandals that I just took out of the washer and dryer, no jewelry, no nail polish, no special hair, and whatever lipstick I find in my purse and can put on in the car. Fuck 'em. This dress feels nicer than a nightgown, needs no special undies, and I can eat all night in comfort. While the other ladies' spiked heels will be getting stuck in the grass (I'm remembering last year), I'll be cruising around fat and comfy. My co-worker's daughter brought back some Lush body butter from Italy. I smell fantastic. This is as good as it gets. I think I might even fun.

holy shit wayne. that doesnt look like you at all...it looks like...santa...

but seriously, beard looks cool. any particular reason for growing it out? last few times i met you, you were clean shaven.

Just growing it for Santa season. I've done all I can do in terms of wardrobe upgrades and such, so I'm wanting to see if having a real beard will make me look and feel more authentic. Problem is, you can't really get enough length in just one year (maybe just 3-4 inches), so it's sort of a 2 year commitment to fully grow it out. That gives you one year to still be yourself (brown hair and beard) and another year to actually "live" as Santa (with long white hair and a white beard, wearing a lot of red, etc).

I'm told (by scores of Santas who have gone through the transformation) that after your first Christmas is over, you'll either dig it so much that you'll decide to stay the course (looking very Santa-like for years to come), or you'll shave off the beard and go back to your old self within a couple of months into the new year.

I'm hoping to make it through this year, and then MAYBE next year, but probably not beyond that. We shall see. I've done goofier things.

the longest ive gone was about 5 weeks. ended up with about an inch of the scratchiest, most annoying crap on my face ever. might consider growing out a beard if my facial hair werent so hard/prickly. could probably get 3-4 inches in like 4 months.

Wow, that's fast! Average beard growth is supposedly only about 1/4" per month. Mine seems to be a little ahead of that, but not much. In the thick places around the chin I've got about 3/4" in 2 months. Don't know if the growth rate remains constant or what, but I'm not expecting more than 4" in the first year, and less than that for my mustache, sideburns, cheeks., etc. After 2 years it should be about 6-8" which would be perfect. Some guy in China once grew a beard that was something like 36" long. Maybe you're a distant relative.

lets just say my 5 oclock shadow appears around mid day :( i can easily do a 1/4" in maybe a week. 10 days tops. it seems oddly dependent on my physical activities though. days/weeks that i am running around/working out, the beard grows waaaaaaaaaay faster. weeks when i am mostly tied to my desk i dont see as much growth. also, i dont have "thick places" :( everything from the chin to the sideburns to the cheeks grows at the same rate. after a week it looks creepily uniform. a lot of people have marveled at my facial manscaping only to find out later that i dont do anything. indians on average are hairy fuckers. which sucks. :(

i AM from india. china isnt too far...

Edited by crappyjones123

Beard continues to look good Wayne. I have envy. When I was 15/16 and was running a razor over my face (not that there was any need to), I was sure that in ten years time, I'd have a full beard. I've got about 4 weeks to suddenly turn patchwork stubble into something worthwhile in order to do that. Alternatively, I could try growing out the bits that are there...

19th%2Bcentury%2Bbeard.JPG

Edited by Duggeh