And now what did you do TODAY?

morphsci

Reks, I don't know where you live, but if our paths ever cross I shall buy you a beer. I have a psychiatrist mother in law who routinely diagnoses strangers with psychoses or addictions based on a few words spoken to her. I try very hard to conceal my thoughts on the matter, and it usually works.

I've spent the last two days cleaning up after my toddler, who has a nasty gut infection. It looks like his three year-old brother is starting to get it too.

i've been trolling various science forums*. it's fun. the debating ability of medical students seems to be about on par with their abilities to use elevators (for fuck's sake, wait until i leave before you cram in). not good, in other words. sad, too.

*not really trolling, but suggesting that subjectivites learned from people who learned said subjectivites from people who learned said subjectivities from who knows where 60 years ago might not be the best diagnostic tool. interestingly enough, i've been twice called anti-science for suggesting that available blood tests be used instead of questionnaires to determine whether an ailment actually exists. what is wrong with medical instruction in this country? i'm not a doctor, i have no advanced degrees (half of one in history, of all things!), but come on: i've come to the conclusion that intelligence isn't about figuring out new things, it's about figuring out when the old things you thought you figured out are fucking stupid.

Did you troll them with the idea that some 30 year old software may outperform them ? ... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mycin

today I found out by calling city zoning that the 8ftx10ft shed I had been planning for my yard has to be under 8ft tall to fit within the zoning requirements. This throws some serious wrenches in my plan for a nice backyard office (well actually bike workout room) with a gabled roof. Going to have to be basically flat which should be interesting with lots of snow on it.

:nate:

Can you get a variance?

Yeah I could but that would cost a lot because it requires plans etc. If I keep it below 80sqft and (now) below 8ft I can go right up to the property line and don't need any building permits at all. I talked to a architect about the variance a while back and just plans came in at $2k, hence the 8x8x10ft I'm stuck with now.

Extra annoyed because I after finding this out I thought I'd found a loophole because looked up the definition of height according to city code and they're supposed to measure mid-gable. Unfortunately when I spoke to planning they told me "not for a shed, it's measured at the ridge".

Oh well I can still make it work it will just look a little weird with a very shallow slanted roof. <_<

Yeah I could but that would cost a lot because it requires plans etc. If I keep it below 80sqft and (now) below 8ft I can go right up to the property line and don't need any building permits at all. I talked to a architect about the variance a while back and just plans came in at $2k, hence the 8x8x10ft I'm stuck with now.

Extra annoyed because I after finding this out I thought I'd found a loophole because looked up the definition of height according to city code and they're supposed to measure mid-gable. Unfortunately when I spoke to planning they told me "not for a shed, it's measured at the ridge".

Oh well I can still make it work it will just look a little weird with a very shallow slanted roof. <_<

Many shed manufacturers have plans for their sheds that could save you some money. As a somewhat crazy solution you could put at 10 foot high shed by digging a two foot hole in the ground and set it in. ;)

Edited by mrarroyo