And now what did you do TODAY?

morphsci

Well, if they total it I hope you can find a car with the insurance money that you like just as much as the one you had. That's sometimes the hard part. I once had a car totaled that was worth less than I owed, so they paid the higher amount to pay it off but then I had nothing left to drive (POS AMC Hornet). I could only afford a motorcycle to replace it while in college.

Got kicked out of a laundry mat today.

Walked in with about 15 loads since my washing machine isn't working (won't drain for some reason... and after 14 years of good service, it's no wonder... it's probably just tired). So my clothes have been piling up for about 6 weeks. Piles and piles.

So I walk in, assess the machines and they look, well, like washers and dryers, so yup, this is the right place. Off I go to the car, then again and again. Kept going back to the car to bring in more piles. Stacked them all up on this folding table, ignoring the signs posted all over the place (like rows of signs all right next to each other that all say the same thing, ala "No parking" signs stationed immediately above each and every parking spot that you're not supposed to park in, so there can be no mistake about "the law" and who is in charge). Signs all say that the folding table is for clean clothes only. I blissfully ignore the signs.

Guy who owns the place walks over to the table, all upset, pointing at the signs, and his wife gets equally huffy about following rules. I ask them where else I can put the dirty clothes to sort them. They have no answer and no other table to offer. Supposed to sort them at home before I come, they tell me. Supposed to bring everything in a big laundry bag like everyone else does, then place the bag on the floor in front of whatever washer I choose and then place the dirty (but pre-sorted) clothes into selected washing machine.

Their customer profile is undoubtedly biased with a high concentration of people who don't have their own washers and dryers at home, apparently, and thus have previously discovered the need for said laundry bags, know where to buy them and probably have color and texture preferences, as well as first hand knowledge of how to put them to optimal use as receptacles of pre-sorted dirty laundry. I'm learning quickly now, but feel somewhat ill equipped, being that I'm concurrently bagless and having an unusually strong need for table space, which is completely non existent save the aforementioned "off limits" and heavily policed "clean clothes only" table.

Not another customer in the joint. Nowhere to be found. Just the "clean clothes only" Nazi's and me. So I point out the obvious, that I'm the only customer in the place; that it will just take me a matter of minutes to get everything stuffed into the machines; that it's at least $50 worth of washing and drying and probably more; that they should have tables for such purposes, since after all it is a laundry mat so it shouldn't be beyond the realm of expectation that people may bring in dirty laundry; that in the alternative, I'd be happy to take my business elsewhere if they continue to insist that I follow their silly rules; that even if I did, their table will by now have been every bit as soiled as it's going to get; that it's not as though my clothes are oozing puss.

They disagree, and become increasingly indignant, telling me how I'm coming into "their country" so I need to follow "their rules", etc. Eventually I tell him that this is why he's never gotten anywhere in life and is sweating in this dinky laundry mat at 7pm on a Sunday evening as a 60 year-old man who still doesn't have two nickels to rub together. I tell him further that I'll be happy to take my business elsewhere (I may have repeated that one a time or two actually) and that his wife is as ugly as he is stupid.

They don't like me...

Found another place, much smaller and much nearer to my house, and the two ladies (mother and daughter, and little granddaughter) were just locking up as I arrived. They asked me how much laundry I had to do, and I figured that meant if it was just a couple of loads, there would be time, but otherwise I was out of luck. But I told them the truth, and suddenly their eyes lit up! When they saw it all, they couldn't believe their eyes.

So they reopened just for me, and then proceeded to do all of the sorting for me. Then loaded all of the big triple load machines, and even stuffed the quarters into them on my behalf. We became fast friends. Two hours later, they had done 90% of the work while I watched and gave them several well placed, "Oh, I didn't know that's"... that the whites should all be washed together, and the like.

When we were finally done, I had each of them dip a hand into my massive bag of quarters, so they probably got $30 each as a tip. Doesn't matter. They were so nice and so opposite of, get this, their Uncle/Granduncle and his useless wife! I'd say things like, "Maybe I'm not being fair..." and they would say, "Oh, trust me, he's a complete asshole, and she's even worse."

After I got home, I ran into my dedicated Santa closet and pulled out a bunch of goodies for them. Stuffed animals for the little girl, several $1 million bills from the North Pole, a "believer bell" and assorted other giveaway items. Put them all in a small gift bag and headed right back to the friendliest laundry mat in the Cayman Islands. Dropped the care package in the mail slot, and will have made someone's day when she arrives at 5:30am.

Seems like a tough life, the laundry business. It must have been 105 degrees in that place tonight. I doubt they've ever been tipped before, at least not in that particular neighborhood. But they'll get there, one happy customer at a time.

Got kicked out of a laundry mat today.

Awesome. Granted I've spent some serious time in my life in laundry establishments and I don't think I've ever seen someone sort their clothes on arrival so I'll give them a few tiny points in that regard. My dead heat of July work clothes have their own special funk that I wouldn't dream of airing out in a cramped moldy hot laundromat. I practice the etiquette of running through the door and getting it loaded into a washer ASAP. No laundry bags for me though, just a couple heavy duty extra large plastic hampers.

Edited by NightWoundsTime

Raced up to Denver to pick up my daughter from the 1st Aid Station at Elitch Gardens amusement park, where she fainted in the 102 degree heat and split her chin open. Sitting in the Urgent Care clinic waiting room now. Poor thing is sore and upset, and needs stitches for a 2" gash.

Hoping the stitches won't be noticeable. Glad she's okay otherwise.

Reminds me of all the times I sat in the emergency room with my daughters.

6 weeks? I couldn't do 2 with the number of boxer shorts I have. I might manage 3 for socks.

And I just threw out all my 44, 42 and 40 inch waistband trousers, so I'm down to 3 pairs of jeans.

Note to self: buy more boxers.

Edited by Duggeh