And now what did you do TODAY?

morphsci

I took my daughter's black Macbook to the Genius Bar since it wont power up since we got back from the funeral. It appears the logic board is dead after 3 years and 9 months.

Although a new logic board replacement at the store is over $500 and takes only 2 days to fix, they have a flat rate service for $280 to refurbish the Macbook with a 90 day warrantee. Apparently they send it to "the depot" for a week, where everything that they find that's bad is replaced with new parts. I decided to do that as it seems to be a bargain, especially when they said they are going to replace the swollen battery too (although the battery still lasts 2-3 hours on a charge).

I did consider getting a new Macbook Pro/Air for myself and handing down my 2.5 year old MBP to her, but the ones with the features I want are both $1799 (after 256Gb, Superdrive and 1.8Ghz for MBA). The MBA having been recently upgraded seems like a safer bet, since the MBP are labeled as "early 2011" models and I'd hate to be one cycle behind when they introduce a new one before the end of the year.

I'd like to see more accessories for Thunderbolt, such as a multi-function docking station that isn't a huge monitor, and I'll feel better about the MBA and no firewire or optical digital audio, etc...

Edited by HeadphoneAddict

Yeah, it surprised the heck out of me when they offered the flat rate thing.

I don't know exactly what "the depot" is, but that's where they said they send it for the work. He said they have a guy there that only works on black Macbooks like ours, and they do good work. Tyler might know, since he works at that Apple Store, but I didn't see him there today.

Nice deal indeed. I went off to have a chat with the guys at Front Panel Express since they're just down the road from me, having a couple of templates made. Was pretty good to chat again as Paul there hosted the last meet I went to and is into making headphone amps and stuff.

Edited by Smeggy

Nice deal indeed. I went off to have a chat with the guys at Front Panel Express since they're just down the road from me, having a couple of templates made. Was pretty good to chat again as Paul there hosted the last meet I went to and is into making headphone amps and stuff.

Cool, I'm pretty happy with the FPE work on my SS eXStatA front and rear panels.

Yeah it's NOT a good source. Soros is no angel but that's a story that's being deliberately sold as bull shit (until proven). Every single reference to it frames it as a question and then states right at the very end that sources state he wasn't involved but not before talking about how much money he made etc..... fucking BS "push" "journalism" at it's best. Also oddly all sources lie outside the "lamestream" media.

Edited by Dreadhead