And now what did you do TODAY?

morphsci

Checked into this thread and realized I was over a week behind with hc news.

Sorry on the surgery, Shelly, but if you need any advice with managing crutches, I've got all the good tips. Sorry about apt., Jacob; can only hope a better one is waiting. Congrats to Emooze, and hoping Al's hip is better.... and good luck to Greg's patience with the college application process. I also applied to only one and got in, though I do think back in my day, it was a bit easier. One of my friend's kids just graduated from my old college, and her daughter had to interview with three professors as part of the process. I went there on two hits of yellow sunshine (I thought the campus was very pretty in the snow), and remember meeting people that were written down on a schedule for me, and could have been interviewing me, but I obviously didn't understand the purpose of my visit or the college application process in general. Apparently, whatever I did worked, and got a scholarship to boot. Those were the days.

I got nothing exciting for news these days. Been uber busy with nothing fun. Got an email from HR this morning, telling me I have to be in the lobby at 9:45 tomorrow morning so I can get served papers regarding a lawsuit over a patient that hung herself a couple years back. Sad, but I barely remember her, let alone any notes I wrote, which are apparently the reason for their interest in me. Bah.

Sorry for the impending brush with lawyers, V.

I didn't quite understand your new Emooze, but I figured it out. Heck, I even found a pic on your Twitter feed (plus a fly track suit pic). Congrat and good luck Lt. Catarius!

http://desmond.yfrog.com/Himg861/scaled.php?tn=0&server=861&filename=vtdnw.jpg&xsize=640&ysize=640

http://desmond.yfrog.com/Himg807/scaled.php?tn=0&server=807&filename=n7hhe.jpg&xsize=640&ysize=640

My hip feels less awkward and painful after a few days of anti-inflammatory meds, especially the last 3 days. I was still over-doing it over the weekend trying to get post-remodel shit done in SF (installing audio and speakers, moving boxes and things, etc).

Edited by Voltron

Vicki, sorry for the HR visit tomorrow, that really sucks. I've been served before for a work issue before, and it's no fun, that's for sure.

Way more fun to drink with the lawyers! :-)

Al, glad your hip is getting better!

Edited by jvlgato

Applied to 1 school for undergrad, got in, then stayed there for my masters (didn't apply anywhere else for that either), then applied to 3 schools for my Ph.D. work and got accepted at all 3 (Kansas, Nebraska and Mississippi). Went to Kansas because they were the first to offer a grad assistantship and had by far the best basketball program. Should have gone to either of the others because they were both actually interested in working with their doctoral students to help them move along in the program and finish. Left Kansas after 2 years with an MBA as a door prize, and left the door open in terms of one day returning, but then never did.

Applied to 1 law school, got in, then applied to one LLM program and got in. The only school to ever turn me down for anything was North Carolina (also a great basketball school). I applied to transfer there after one year of law school. I was in the top 5% of my class after the first year, but they didn't accept a single transfer student that year, and said as much in their rejection letter which I still have somewhere.

Of course, all of this was a long time ago, but I think the key is to decide where you want to go relative to where you're likely to get accepted and can afford. Coming out of high school, I didn't have the greatest grades, so I went to the community college first and then to Illinois State to finish my undergrad. Preferred U of I but figured my odds of getting accepted were nearly nil, because they just don't accept anyone but the cream of the crop coming out of high school, and almost never accept any Juco transfer students.

Maybe it's just a different strategy, but I've never quite understood why everyone wants to go to the "best of the best" schools only to waste a lot of time and money on applications and then get piles of rejection letters, or worse yet, get accepted and then get thrown into an uncomfortable environment where you're at the bottom of the barrel from day one. Of course, in accounting and law, you have the CPA exam and the bar exam as neutralizers, whereas in other fields your degree and grades are all you'll ever have to show for yourself.

Got my car buffing/de-swirling kit today so I decided to test it out. Wash my whole car, clayed the hood and bumper only (as it was already late in the day) then did a 4-step buff - swirl removal, polish and then 2 layers of wax on the bumper and hood only. Sure did take the haze and a decent amount of the swirls off plus put a nice smooth finish on but boy am I sore!

To be continued on Saturday but I'm getting a stool of some sort to minimize bending over and squatting.

Edited by raffy

After high school I only applied to two universities in Texas where I grew up, and was accepted to both. I chose TAMU which had a better pre-med program than UT (couldn't afford private schools). I applied to 4 medical schools in Texas and was accepted to 3, and put on the wait list for the 4th. So I got to pick Baylor College of Medicine, which I think was the best of the ones in Texas. At first they subsidized the tuition for in-state students to ridiculously low levels (same price as UT med schools), but then the tuition doubled each year after my first year when that went away. At least I never paid the full $10K per year (a lot in 1984).

but boy am I sore!

You're only supposed to use the buffer on the car!

To be continued on Saturday but I'm getting a stool of some sort to minimize bending over and squatting.

May I recommend...

slingx.jpg

Seriously though, I bought some 3M swirl remover and a Porter Cable random orbit buffer a while back, and was really impressed with the results on my Black vehicle. And the buffer is idiot proof, due to the random orbit pattern (no burning through paint).

Edited by swt61

Seriously though, I bought some 3M swirl remover and a Porter Cable random orbit buffer a while back, and was really impressed with the results on my Black vehicle. And the buffer is idiot proof, due to the random orbit pattern (no burning through paint).

Actually, I used a Porter Cable random orbital too. Used swirl remover first then polish to remove whatever the swirl remover puts on (light dullness/nano scratches). Then it's supposed to be a layer of liquid wax but I decided to go with 2 layers of paste wax instead.

It did a great job on my black car too as it took the haze off and put a nice shine to it but I still have most of the car left to work on. I'm getting a low stool and a foam exercise mat to help on Saturday.

The transmission on my 1970 VW Beetle stopped working, I thought it was the cable a $150 job. Instead there was a problem with the throw out bearing so it will be about $650 since the engine and aftermarket A/C had to be removed. No complaints since it broke at the office parking lot instead of the VW show in Dade City 400 mile away on 11/13.

^ ouch, miguel.

Re my little drama, I have no problem with HR. I love HR. They're basically taking care of everything, including lawyers. i'm just a plaintiff, along with others, in a wrongful death suit, and am hoping I'll have nothing more to do than give a statement. I wasn't the primary therapist, thank goodness. I suppose I should actually read the papers I was handed today, but it was a thick pack of papers, and I couldn't be bothered other than to be amused at the language on the first page....something about "command you to blah blah blah." Really? You lawyers say things like "command you"? I read it in a cartoon voice for effect, then ate some rather excellent cake that was in the staff kitchen at the time.

Re my little drama, I have no problem with HR. I love HR. They're basically taking care of everything, including lawyers. i'm just a plaintiff, along with others, in a wrongful death suit, and am hoping I'll have nothing more to do than give a statement. I wasn't the primary therapist, thank goodness. I suppose I should actually read the papers I was handed today, but it was a thick pack of papers, and I couldn't be bothered other than to be amused at the language on the first page....something about "command you to blah blah blah." Really? You lawyers say things like "command you"? I read it in a cartoon voice for effect, then ate some rather excellent cake that was in the staff kitchen at the time.

Yeah, the time I was served, I had no idea what was going on. Some guy walks in, asks my name, hands me a giant packet of papers and walks off. I read the first page or two and still didn't know what it was. All kinds of words I didn't understand, something about a complaint against me. Big deal, someone's always complaining about something, right? I actually had to call my insurance carrier and read it to them, and they explained that what I had in my hands was a lawsuit. FFFUUUU! angry.png

Good luck, Vicki. Sounds like you're one among many named. They'll ask you a bunch of questions, it'll take forever, lots of waiting and worrying, then someone will pay someone something, and it'll be over. Maybe, hopefully, you'll be dropped from the case.

Edited by jvlgato