And now what did you do TODAY?

morphsci

Impressive case, I like it. How noisy are the PS and the exhaust fan on top? Has it fans for the HDD too?

Not too noisy. Was contemplating a fanless PSU, but a temperature controlled fan in the PSU seems good enough + added safety.

The case fans are temperature controlled by the motherboard as well. There is one intake fan in front of the lower hard drives, I may add another (in front of the upper hard drives) when I have a full compliment of drives - if the temperatures indicate a need for one.

Being an apartment dweller, I have limited opportunity for placing the server out of the way where i can't hear it. People with Basements / Garages / closets / spare rooms wired for power + ethernet don't know how lucky they are. So instead I do the best I can, and keep an eye on what other people have done on the SPCR forums.

Nice Grahame!!! You forgot to center the display on the stand though.

Shelly, you forgot the [irony] or [sarcasm] tags. The furniture needs to be upgraded to to cope with the new addition.

Maybe this will give you a clue as to why centering isn't currently feasible. :)

6454890409_405ab2396e_z.jpg

The server is running 64 bit Windows 7 for historical reasons. It functions as a "proper" server proving services, like say

realtime transcoding of 720p mkv Blu ray rips for viewing on an Ipad, via Air Video. I may also want to install some VM's . Probably overkill for most things I want to do, but solves a bunch of problems for me now, and likely in the future.

The server is running 64 bit Windows 7 for historical reasons. It functions as a "proper" server proving services, like say

realtime transcoding of 720p mkv Blu ray rips for viewing on an Ipad, via Air Video. I may also want to install some VM's . Probably overkill for most things I want to do, but solves a bunch of problems for me now, and likely in the future.

That really is the best setup imo, I also run a NAS with 64bit Win7, but since it's a pure-server, I went the Atom route. Big energy savings. The i5 is also pretty energy efficient.

That really is the best setup imo, I also run a NAS with 64bit Win7, but since it's a pure-server, I went the Atom route. Big energy savings. The i5 is also pretty energy efficient.

WOL FTW :) I was using an atom powered Dell mini 9 with external usb drives as something similar, until the SSD started to fail, corrupting the registry in the process. Hence the upgrade. Or thats what I tell myself :)

Looks interesting. I'd still need something more silent I'm afraid. I'm resisting to get an iMac since last spring... I should wait for the next generation grin.gif

Its not too difficult nowadays to get a completely silent computer if you stick with SSDs and a low power cpu. My i5 setup (pretty similar to grahame's) is overall pretty damn quiet but not silent.

Went to Art Basel Miami (yesterday, actually) lots of fun stuff.

Then we went to an underground Art Basel party in a warehouse not quite in the design district, inexplicably co-sponsored by the German Consulate, at the invite of a photographer I'd never met. It was pretty non-linear but a good time. Free drinks. We ate at a food truck (there was just one. it had apparently strayed from its herd) The affair was a largely visual experience.There were bands, but the acoustics of the warehouse were so bad you could only guess by looking what kind of music they were playing: portly middle-aged lady probably a jazz singer. Four young people wearing ties maybe punk, maybe ska. Bonnie bought Haitian-style prints from white-haired Austrian guy in a black suit. There was a guy with a long leather coat (that I coveted) who looked exactly like a villain from a British caper movie. And the highlight had to have been the TV reporter from some obscure (to me at least) internet-only outfit who was wearing the mini-est mini skirt I've ever seen, maybe the mini-est ever. Her hem in the back was, by quite careful estimation, approximately at the midline of her butt. The whole party was like being pulled into a Tom waits song.