And now what did you do TODAY?

morphsci

My sister arrived for the holiday (we're time-shifting Christmas to Tuesday). She hasn't been here for several years. We're thrilled to have her in town.

Hats off to Miguel's coworkers! A main artery from his water works burst last night, cutting the water to four cities. It was a 42 inch main. Everybody expected a waterless Christmas. These guys had the water back on in three hours. Way to go!

Merry Christmas everybody!

Just catching up with this thread after a couple weeks. My sincere condolences to Chris and Mike and your families. As some of you know I lost my dad three weeks ago, and today was a quiet, very un-christmassy day, though family got together, ate, did the gift thing, went to church, told stories and laughed. His absence is pretty present. It didn't help that I spent yesterday in the hospital with my mom, who had been admitted the night before, and no one told me. They let her out today, but her heart isn't working right. She spent most of the day sleeping, and I spent it watching her, feeling really helpless.

On a brighter note, those are wonderful pictures, Wayne! And although I'm sorry for your palsy, Mike, I think we need some pics of the pirate patch. I think you'd look quite good in one.

I hope all here had a safe and happy holiday.

Vicki, I'm so saddened by the news of your father's passing. As so many of us have experienced in recent times (and some very recently), it's just an incredibly difficult time for everyone involved. You have your own emotions to deal with, those of your family members and close friends, and now with your mom being sick, and still having to face the day to day realities of work life, etc. Just keep hanging in there and staying strong, as this too shall pass.

• Like 1

Vicki, sorry to hear about your loss and troubles, but glad the family could get together as it could for the holiday. Wish you the best for you and your mom.

Having lost family around holidays (Stepfather on Mother's Day, Grandfather right around Christmas), it seems to makes things that much more potent in our memories....I always try hard to remember the life, and not focus so much on the death.....balance.....

Vicki, Chris, Mike: my condolences to you. The holidays always produce and extra helping of emotion when someone is not around. I only wish that those in our families who are rude and cranky during this time of year would reflect on this instead of being assholes. My best wishes to the three of you for better days ahead. One day at a time is all we can ask.

And as for you, Wayne: truly amazing. The action shots are just wow.

Hoping your Mom gets better Vicki.

As requested by Vicki, here's a pic, though the patch doesn't look very pirate like. Also note that I am smiling but the traitor right side of my face refuses to play along. It's one week now with zero improvement. Kind of depressing but not so bad considering stuff other folks have been going through. Any way, here ya go

Do1vt.jpg

You look good for a week of palsy. Some of the facial features are preserved, like a good part of the nasolabial fold, frontal fold and part of the wrinkles around the chin. This means there's some muscle tone preserved, so the nerve isn't 100% nonconducting, which is a great starting point for recovery.

First week is of things getting worse, and only very very favorable cases start showing some slight improvement. Don't get disappointed, you'll start improving soon ;D When will you start with PT?

Vicky, I'm sorry for these unfortunate setbacks. I hope things get better for you and yours. Best wishes your way :)