And now what did you do TODAY?

morphsci

Got new deadbolts and locks installed at the lake house and then looked at pontoon boats.... reaonably priced used ones and reasonably priced but much more expensive new ones. Probably going to get one of the new ones that's like this but red and no trailer (and 2 ft longer).

250145_122483897832915_120515938029711_174920_5930413_n.jpg

Edited by Dreadhead

Nope. Lots of people in the area just leave their pontoon boats in all year.

Going to look at a totally redone from the deck up older (1984) boat tomorrow that has a trailer. An hour+ away in the wrong direction which is a PITA but it's a lot cheaper.

Although leaving the boat in a lake is not as bad as in the ocean you may want to find out if there are any companies who would scrub the pontoons once or twice a year. Otherwise the additional drag due growth will make you spend a lot on additional fuel.

You're almost always better off financially buying a used boat, especially a pontoon. If take care of a pontoon last for decades. I insure several from the late 70s and early 80s.

As Miguel said, you'll need to have the hull cleaned at least yearly and both maintain and winterize the motor. The trailer may be more useful than you think, even if you only pull it out once a year.

Thanks for the advice.

The market on used isn't looking great to me right now. I can buy a 3 year old boat for $2k/$3k (15-20%) less than new at best which isn't a great savings in my book. The question we're asking is: Settle for what we can find used or buy what we want and then if we decide we don't like it sell it in a few years and lose $5k if that. I think we've pretty much settled on new. We've looked at older used ones and they are just beat up and newer used ones are expensive in my opinion.

I'll clean the hull myself. I grew up diving and scrubbing my parent's boats and when racing we would scrub the bottoms on the sailboats monthly.

That said I'm thinking that we'll probably end up getting a trailer sometime in the summer. If and only if the current Subaru station wagon can pull it (tounge weight limit is 300lbs). The other issue is storing it because Meaghan doesn't want it sitting in the yard.

Edited by Dreadhead

Got back from my extended weekend in San Antonio. Marc, his wife, and his two kids were able to meet Allison and me for a day of fun in Austin yesterday. Checked out the Whole Foods world HQ (Lamar), a local bookstore, a local record store, two bars, and a nice Tex Mex place.

Thanks very much Marc, it was really great to see you again and meet your wonderful family. Your wife is incredibly nice and your kids are adorable (plus your son is good at Smash Bros. Melee, and that is badass).

Shelly and Steve - I'll be back again, I promise. smile.png

Edited by Aura

Thanks to a craigslist hit in Fairfield (hence yesterdays burger garnished bacon in Napa) transformed this

6454890409_405ab2396e_z.jpg

Into This

6786479117_c12a9bcbf6_z.jpg

Allowing me to enjoy this

6786488991_311fb689d5_z.jpg

:)

And address Shelly's concerns over symmetry (and line up better with viewing from the sofa)

All I need to do now (next weekend maybe) is to find a buyer for the now surplus to requirements ..

6786551365_a7df5bd76e_z.jpg