And now what did you do TODAY?

morphsci

Definitely, though I prefer the second and third definitions in Wikipedia:

• Tautology (rhetoric), using different words to say the same thing, or a series of self-reinforcing statements that cannot be disproved because they depend on the assumption that they are already correct
  • Tautology (logic), a technical notion in formal logic, universal unconditioned truth, always valid
  • Tautology (rule of inference), a rule of replacement for logical expressions in some systems of propositional logic

Nate, I was looking at iphone apps before I bought the Garmin, and my main concern that since I want to start doing distance rides, the apps would eat up my battery... <snip>

Yup, I prefer the Garmin and got the whole route thing worked out yesterday which was cool. If you have questions just sk and I'll try to help.

Not sure what you mean by "old style" tires. What size of wheels are they? Should either be 27" wheels or preferably 700c wheels, which would give you your choice of pretty much any modern tire you want. 27" are readily available, just not as common any more. Something like a Panaracer Pasela in maybe a 27 x 1 1/8" would be a good choice in that case, and cheap (~$15 ea).

Performance Bike has a couple (thought they carried Paselas but I guess not):

http://www.performancebike.com/bikes/Product_10052_10551_1089790_-1___

Yeah. Many bike shops don't know that much about vintage, and obviously would rather sell you a new bike. If it were me, I would clean and regrease the bearings (bottom bracket, headset and most certainly the hubs), replace the cables/housings, clean and lube the freewheel and replace the chain (KMC or SRAM). You could do a lot of this yourself, particularly if you have a bike coop around where you wouldn't have to buy any tools. Maybe this place: http://mobobicyclecoop.org/

http://www.niagaracycle.com/product_info.php?products_id=422297

http://www.nashbar.com/bikes/Product_10053_10052_178263_-1___

Cleaned out the sandbox my neighbor gave us and finally put the three bags of play sand I've had sitting in the basement for the last 3 years to good use. My daughter was really excited to have her own sandbox and the weather was nice enough she was able to use for a good chunk of time.

Found some guy's laptop in the middle of the street.

There was a contract of some sort closed in it. There was a phone number on the contract and that guy was v-e-r-y concerned about his contract being in the middle of the street. So shortly, Mr Probably-shouldn't-leave-his-laptop-on-top-of-his-car phones me, tells me what kind of laptop he's missing and rather promptly shows up at my workshop to reclaim said laptop. He was quite grateful/relieved.

My work laptops have my name and phone number labeled prominently on the case. Tomorrow, my personal one will, too.

The laptop, by the way, was a Toshiba. I estimate it hit the pavement at about 30 mph. It didn't look too great, but it was probably repairable. Best of all, it was able to boot into the OS, which means its owner hasn't lost whatever's on the hard drive. I was impressed.

Thanks, Vicki. Stacy moved out in Jan 2010, so the pain is long since gone. I'm doing well. There has been no fighting and we remain good friends with no desire or expectation of getting back together. Ever since they diagnosed her as being bipolar, she has been doing really well. Stacy always took medication religiously and it's working well now that they have her on the correct meds.

Stacy did file for divorce this Jan. I talked to her today about finishing all the paper work, but hold off filing until I find a job and so have health insurance. She agreed with no hesitation. She really is a good person.