And now what did you do TODAY?

morphsci

Could somebody, anybody besides a Jamaican, please win the men's 200m final?

I'm so sick of hearing all of these people go on and on about how "Jamaica is dominating the Olympics... as usual." Geez, USA has 83 medals, China has 77, and Jamaica has 6. But they don't care about the 90+% of all events that they suck at, they just go on and on and on about Bolt and Blake...

Funny, for me, the chance a pet might outlive me would be a WAY bigger deterrent to owning pets than the chance you may outlive it. It's not fair to keep an animal if you won't be around to care for it it's entire life.

I'm sure all pet owners here on HC have plans for the care of their pets should they predecease them. That is responsible pet ownership.

Just did mortal combat with a bat in our living room...and survived. So now I'm having a drink. Fuck me.

Yikes! That'd be a nightmare! I've had my share of mice in the house and can't stand catching and disposing of them. A flying mouse would be way worse. Did you have to squash it, or were you able to chase it out?

Yikes! That'd be a nightmare! I've had my share of mice in the house and can't stand catching and disposing of them. A flying mouse would be way worse. Did you have to squash it, or were you able to chase it out?

Evidently I have a mean overhand smash with a tennis racket. There was no chance of chasing it out. It was in our upstairs hallway and I was afraid that if Lily or my wife heard much for noise they'd wake up and open their door and make an already bad problem worse. I don't enjoy killing things, this is probably only the second time that I've actively taken something's life, but didn't see that I had much choice. I'm hoping that I found the entry point as well so that I can stop it happening again.

Yeah, they're pretty cool when I see them flying around my neighborhood at dusk. Agree that I wouldn't want one in my house, though! And definitely wouldn't want to have to overhead smash one. I always feel bad for the mice that I've killed. But also never saw that I had a choice. Finding their entryway is key ... I hope you found Batty's entryway!

I was just saying the other day how I wanted to make some bat houses for the backyard to attract bats (so they can eat our mosquitoes). Everyone was telling me what a dumb idea it was because a bat could fly in your house, give you rabies, blah blah blah. I was saying that a bat couldn't get in our house because we never leave any windows or doors open (too damn hot/humid) - and that it was rare (~1%) for a bat to have rabies. Now I am thinking that maybe I was wrong (about the bat getting in one's house).

Edited by shellylh

The last time we had a bat in the house, I used a flashlight and a leather glove and did a relocation. But then again I was home alone at the time. In your position Nate the bats fitness would have probably been reduced to zero.

Rabies in bats is way overhyped. Would be much more worried about skunks and raccoons.

We frequent a store in Mackinaw City that has a bat house inside the covered entry way to the store. I've never seen the bats act aggressive and am not worried about rabies in bats. Possible, but more likely with skunks.

My only enounter with a bat was as a stock boy in the local dime store (for those of you who can remember). Bat flying though the store and it became my job to get rid of it. I chose a kitchen style broom. Missed on the first pass. Knocked it down and out on the second pass. Took it out behind the store and released it. Didn't think about it flying right back into the building rolleyes.gif which it may well have done.

Thanks again for the kind words, guys. I just got off the train with the boys, and it was weird having only two dogs come bounding up to see us. My wife has all but put a deposit down on an Australian shepherd/border collie cross pup, who will be ready to come home in early September. Our one remaining good herding dog has Lyme disease and had a malignant melanoma removed last year, so we figure rushing to get a new pup is probably a good idea. It takes awhile before they're any good at telling the cattle what to do.

I've never had a bat in the house, but there was one living somewhere in/on our house's exterior a few years ago that was almost certainly rabid. It would come out in the daytime and dive-bomb us.