And now what did you do TODAY?

morphsci

Great job CJ! It's nice to have choices.

BTW, I'm curious, how do you feel about getting an M.D. vs a D.O degree? The number of D.O. graduates is increasing these days, but they still only make up about 7% of graduates. My family doctor is a D.O. one of the docs that was in my pediatric residency program at Baylor College of Medicine was a D.O., but otherwise I don't know many osteopaths. Interestingly, my wife got her Masters Degree at A.T. Still University for Occupational Therapy in 2010, and AT Still was the founder of osteopathic medicine.

Edited by HeadphoneAddict

The ER where I shadowed physicians had an equal number of both and other than the white coats they wore there was no way to tell one from the other. The ER chief is a DO as well. They mostly encouraged me to go the MD route not because of research opportunities but because of hiring biases by trustees or board of directors. In terms of practicing privelages they are both the same and I don't see a difference between them. Additional good news is that both agcme and aoa residencies will be accredited by the same entity starting in 2015. I am hoping that this will make matching easier for DO students as they won't have to take both the USMLE and COMLEX to apply. Residency programs will accept both.

The only difference I can seem to find between the two is not as much research in DO and the additional osteopathic manipulation class which I'm not entirely sold on. I haven't met a single physician that practices it. I can see it theoretically working for musculoskeletal problems but I can't take claims of curing autism with manipulation seriously. While being given a tour of the facilities the manipulation lab professor remarked that he could tell I was having some pretty bad lower back pain from the way I was standing even though my facial expression indicated nothing. He asked me if I would volunteer for a demonstration and I agreed. He did something and I had instant relief. I can see the benefits extending to things like that but not curing genetic diseases.

Given my age and financial obligations already, I think I will matriculate at the less expensive of the two schools if those are the only ones I get into. However I still have to wait for 3 more schools so no final decision yet.

Thanks again guys :) it's been a good past few days.