And now what did you do TODAY?

morphsci

helped my sister with some Mac stuff

got treated to lunch at DuClaw

Bathed my senior citizen cat -- this was surprisingly non-eventful -- no muss no fuss, no hissing no spitting no clawing -- in fact, her least favourite part was being removed.  I blame the advancing kidney failure -- I think she really enjoyed the warmth and being surrounded by water -- she couldn't stop drinking it, even when I was holding one of her legs up to try to get to the foot.  I let her, but I tried to keep her towards the clean side of the bath, and tried to keep it as short as possible.

Bathed my senior citizen cat -- this was surprisingly non-eventful -- no muss no fuss, no hissing no spitting no clawing -- in fact, her least favourite part was being removed.  I blame the advancing kidney failure -- I think she really enjoyed the warmth and being surrounded by water -- she couldn't stop drinking it, even when I was holding one of her legs up to try to get to the foot.  I let her, but I tried to keep her towards the clean side of the bath, and tried to keep it as short as possible.

You're a good cat person Dusty. Good on ya.

An excellent cat person indeed. We have three, and our attempts to bathe them have ended with tears and recriminations all around.

Damn, has this been a day... Now sipping a nice whiskey to end it off.

The story goes like this.

I'm in charge of a webpage/e-store project for a construction material wholesale company. The head of the company is my sisters fiancee so yeah, a typical eastern European business operation. Almost a year ago we hired a guy who used to live in Canada to help us explore the Scandinavian market. Things didn't go as well as everyone wanted and we had to ask him to leave the company. Me being the "computer guy" of our bunch it was my duty cut all access to the databases, e-mails etc. for this guy. Mind you- everyone of our company used to work together at a large construction material wholesaler before the financial crisis struck so basically everyone knows everyone (besides me, that is). So yeah, the guy leaves our merry bunch and suddenly everything picks up for him! He's the sales tigershark he used to be (he was the head of the sales team where everyone of my colleagues were). My bosses were slightly irritated because of this but there were no explicit hostilities between us. Also this guy used to drive me to the bus stop quite often so we were pretty close. We both have higher education and we had lived abroad so we had stuff to talk about. Y'know- criticizing our bosses and such.

Fast forward three months and he calls me up if I can install some program for his new laptop. I say that sure, and that I'm at the office. He drops by today, and gives me his nice Asus MacAir lookalike-book and I proceed to install the stuff. Our office is one of them open types where everyone sees everyone so whilst I do my computer stuff, he chats off with the other guys. Somehow I had this funny feeling to take a peek at his Google drive local folder and so I did. Then I almost died a little. There was all our database with client, supplier contact lists, all of the price catalogs which contain our profit margins... The good stuff, that almost guarantees someone to outbid us if needed. A little shaken I proceeded to erase all of our data he had. About 600MB's worth of text and numbers. All that with a straight face with him sitting across the table in front of me. It's quite miraculous how fast you can do it with these new SSD's. Also as promised I installed a pirated version of some PDF editor and handed the laptop back to him. The local Google drive folder was cleaned out and ready to trigger the same process to remote storage when connected to the Internet.

Felt like shit. When I told my boss about he was quite surprised but not overly. He might've had backup after all. Well, at least we know what the guy was up to.

And I hated the Windows 8.

Edited by RudeWolf

Damn, has this been a day... Now sipping a nice whiskey to end it off.

Felt like shit. When I told my boss about he was quite surprised but not overly. He might've had backup after all. Well, at least we know what the guy was up to.

You gotta do what you gotta do.  What will you do if he's got a backup?  Can you hire the girl with the dragon tattoo to get into his backups?

I should also mention -- I don't think she's long for this world -- days, even.  What was diagnosed as early stage liver failure a couple months ago is probably quite advanced now -- she's skin and bones despite the fact that she's been eating, and at this point, she hasn't eaten properly for two days.  (She's dying of old age, basically.)  So if I'm a bit off for a bit, it has everything to do with that.  I'm quite attached to this kitty, I've known her for her entire two decades and she's been the love of my life for the past several years.  I beg you all patience with me, as it has made me quite erratic, in every way.

I should also mention -- I don't think she's long for this world -- days, even.  What was diagnosed as early stage liver failure a couple months ago is probably quite advanced now -- she's skin and bones despite the fact that she's been eating, and at this point, she hasn't eaten properly for two days.  (She's dying of old age, basically.)  So if I'm a bit off for a bit, it has everything to do with that.  I'm quite attached to this kitty, I've known her for her entire two decades and she's been the love of my life for the past several years.  I beg you all patience with me, as it has made me quite erratic, in every way.

It's sad, and touching, and many of us have been there. I feel for you man. You're excused in every way for a ways into the future.

We've lost pets after caring for them for 16+ years, and it's really hard when it's time for them to go.  Sitting up with a dog into the we hours of the morning until she takes her last breath is heart-wrenching. It took us 4 years to heal from that loss and get the courage to get another dog, and she's now 12 years old and likely to live only till 15-16 years old.  We love her so much, and feel like she's the perfect pet and companion.

Meanwhile our 13 year old cat, inherited from my wife's dad when he passed away a year and a half ago, also has early kidney failure.  He's skinny as a bone, and eats well but can't get past 7 lbs.  So, we're in line for a couple of losses in the coming years, and although we keep talking about not getting another pet when they all die off, I'm sure that pledge will not last long.  It never does.

Hang in there Dusty. I feel for you. That is exactly what happened to my dog before Suzy (Fred). In two weeks he went from a happy, energetic 22 lb. face licking ball of fun, to a 9 lb. bony, frail little guy who didn't want to get out of bed. There was nothing to be done for him. 

I'm wishing you and your cat the best outcome!