And now what did you do TODAY?

morphsci

Good news overall Al. Hang in there Quest!

The newer anti-seizure medications for dogs are pretty good. My Mom had a dog with the same symptoms you described for Quest, except her dog was aware of her surroundings during and immediately after the seizures. It would scare her to death when her back legs would give out, and she always thought we'd be mad that she lost control of her bowels. We'd just hold her and comfort her until the seizure was over. Once the vet prescribed the medication it never happened again, and we had a few more great years with her.

Here's hoping you get much more time with Quest!

Thank you all.  

Quest has gotten steadily better over the past 24 hours and is back to normal.  When I see the vet I hope it is something as simple as medication and not a brain tumor like my Patch who had similar symptoms.  Losing Quest will be very hard on me.  He and I had an instant bond the minute I picked him up.  I've never had that with any animal and that bond has only grown stronger.  I'll enjoy the time I have with him, whether for a few hours, days, months or years.

My first dog (appropriately named Whisky as he drove me to drink) had epilepsy.  Scary but treatable.  I don't believe this is what Quest is experiencing.  I think he is having a heart event ... probably heart attacks.  Patch had a brain tumor that gave similar symptoms.  I can see where my use of seizure to describe what happens sounds like epilepsy.  I didn't mean to be misleading.

I would also ask the vet his/her opinion on Lyme disease. Similar symptoms for my dog eventually resulted in that diagnosis, but it took a long time to find a vet who would consider it a possibility (it's a very under-reported illness in Canada).

Different topic: I'm currently watching the small break-in fire on the new stove.

post-1175-0-28569300-1379873846_thumb.jp

I would also ask the vet his/her opinion on Lyme disease. Similar symptoms for my dog eventually resulted in that diagnosis, but it took a long time to find a vet who would consider it a possibility (it's a very under-reported illness in Canada).

Different topic: I'm currently watching the small break-in fire on the new stove.

attachicon.gif2013-09-22 12.45.56.jpg

You mean stoves need burn in just like cables and amps? Who knew.....

You mean stoves need burn in just like cables and amps? Who knew.....

It's just because it's pieces of soapstone cemented together, not steel welded together.  A small first fire does the final cure on the cement, and slowly drives any moisture out of the stone, which might cause it to crack if a really hot fire were made.

My only regret is that I did not pay extra for the cryo-treated soapstone.

• Like 1

Just occurred to me that I probably posted about Quest in the wrong thread. Sorry. I was and I am upset.

Tonight he is full of piss and vinegar. Took him to the vet. Narrowed it down to either an cardiac event or a neurological episode. Ruled out epilepsy and Lyme disease. So we don't know. Ordered blood work which I don't expect to show anything. This going as expected. Karyl pointed out the similarities to Patch who had a brain tumor. She is probably right in which case it is a death watch of unknown duration..