And now what did you do TODAY?

morphsci

I went to the Connecticut DMV. It was impressive. I did not think anything could be less efficient than the Chicago DMV, but it was playing on a completely different level.

You obviously have not been to Mass RMV.  USCIS office in Boston is also impressive, though in this case, I believe it is more a case of demand far outweighing the service as opposed to sheer inefficiency.

I needed to get a CT license. First step was to wait on line to get a number. Then I went to a booth to have my picture taken. Then I waited to be called to have someone check my paperwork. Then I sat around and waited to be called to have my eyes checked. Then I waited around to be called to have my paperwork checked ... again after which I waited to have my picture taken, again. It was like a bureaucratic palindrome. I have no idea what the first picture or paperwork check accomplished.

Oh, and I had to make multiple payments at different stages. They never told me what some of the payments were for.

CT seemed overstaffed -- the employees (who I should note were all quite pleasant) seemed to be waiting around as much as anyone else.

And Erika forgot her social security card, and thus gets to go back tomorrow.

Edited by dsavitsk

Doug, are they doing the thing where you have to show up at the DMV with a sheaf of paperwork, including things like a notarized birth certificate and a bunch of household bills (but particular ones, and they don't seem to want to share which ones)? In Florida, they had the wait time down to a dull roar after the big immigration wave, so they instituted this new silliness, which affects applicants on some sort of rolling basis. Now, it's an ordeal, even if you're not one of the unlucky ones. You have to wait behind people who are waiting forever only to be turned away. The free floating frustration makes it all the more special.

Grahame, the smell was actually like burning hair.

Operation was simple and distance vision is getting better every hour. Near vision is shit but I knew it would be. Signing off till I get some reading glasses.

Wait, you have hairy eyeballs? are you sure they pointed the lasers at the right pair!

In the meantime I suggest looking at subject matter that is "easy on the eyes"

4256417697_eye_candy_answer_2_xlarge.jpe

The internet may be able to help.

Have a good recovery, eagle eyes.

Edited by Grahame

Finally got around to doing our taxes last night and it looks like we owe Uncle Sam a bit. It's a combination of both my wife and I putting in too much withholding when we both changed jobs in the past couple of years, our retroactive raises, and the First Time Home Owner's Credit repayment. We usually get at least some back so it was bit of an unpleasant surprise.

Oh and dang, N-400 is a long form.

^ Also found out I owed a couple K's to good ol' Uncle Sam.

Its a shitty feeling, but if it makes you feel any better we have basically been getting an interest-free loan from the government for the amount of tax we owe.

Those getting a refund, however, have been giving the government an interest-free loan.

Strangely, Debbie says that those types of natural remedies will dehydrate me, and therefore my eyes. Thank goodness she is not a natural health professional like you, Gene.

Well then I recommend martinis and a IV drip.  Problem solved, I will fax you my bill.   ^-^

Discovered that I sent a pair of Apple earbud-microphone thingies through the wash. They still work but they sound like shit. Which is pretty much as-new condition. Amazing.

By the way, does anybody know of an example of this sort of thing that actually sounds reasonably good but is still cheap - under $50, let's say?