And now what did you do TODAY?

morphsci

The allergic warning is because the flu vaccine is cultivated in egg albumen so if you have a sensitivity to eggs or chickens you may have a reaction.  I have an egg allergy so that is why I cannot have the flu shot. Was the skin reaction hives or swelling? 

I eat eggs and chicken all the time with no problem that I know of so I wouldn't think that I would have a sensitivity to either.  My skin reaction to the flu shot was very pink, warm, it was a few inches in diameter, and lasted for several days (or maybe longer, I can't remember).  I talked to a person who gave the shot and she said it looked like a skin reaction and wasn't too worried about it.   There were no hives.  Benadryl made it better.  My skin is very sensitive to everything nowadays.  Perhaps the Supartz would be fine... I'm just not sure it is worth the risk or money.  I'm tired of being injured. 

You didn't do any of Sakura Matsuri?  My friend Dave with whom I used to go every year had "yellow fever", so all his pics are of cute cosplay girls and idol types.

Nope, saw several people in cosplay, but I take all my yellow fever pictures at otakon.

• Like 1

Thanks, makes me feel good for my rheumatologist appointment coming up.

I have RA that affects my hands.  A few years ago snapping my fingers was painful.  Putting on socks was painful.  

I could spend several minutes putting on socks, actually.

No pain today.  I'll get an occasional discomfort, but overall its fine.  

I went a while without seeking out treatment (or knowing I had RA) which was probably a stupid thing to do.

If I relax my fingers flat in either hand, the fingers in my left hand follow the line of my arm.  

My right hand fingers do not, they go off to the left at an angle of maybe 20 or 30 degrees (palm facing me).  

I've learned that you can''t just ignore RA.

Don't know what the future holds but I plan on being medicated when I find out.

I take methotrexate & folic acid for it.  Under my BCBS the methotrexate copay is zero.  I forget what the folic acid copay is, but its cheap.

Edited by aardvark baguette

Or it's because they only treat the symptoms rather than the underlying cause which is more difficult because of individual variation ;)

it's not "or", it's right because the cause is not well understood, there's not a treatment for it yet, or investigating researching it isn't profitable. My point is that there's not a "they" who aren't treating diseases just to fuck off poor patients, but there are diseases which for some reason it's not possible to treat the cause and preventing them to become chronic.

Edited by Torpedo

Only for company's in capitalist systems. Government funded healthcare research doesn't have to be profit based ("for the greater good") . Hence the argument that company's prefer treatments / managed conditions - as they yield a recurring revenue stream, rather than cure's - which are one offs. Or where's the return on problems that only affect poor people ... Affluenza on the other hand ...

• Like 1

My comment is specific to treatment in the US and our "unique" healthcare systems. There are many syndromes where there are simply a multiplicity of routes that lead to the symptoms manifesting themselves. In the US, and in my experience, many of the physicians either do not spend the time talking and actually listening to their patients. The old time family practitioner is rare. Sometimes knowing the patient is necessary in disentangling the cause. We went through a whole serious of practitioners with our sons IGA nephropathy until we actually found that listened to what we actually told them.

Very nice, Ian.....glad the weather cleared up for you.

We went up your way: Karen, Andrew and I went to Kittery/York/Ogunquit in Maine.  Lunch at When Pigs Fly restaurant, up to Nubble Lighthouse and York beaches, then up Shore Drive to Ogunquit.  Karen practically screeched with glee upon finding tents in the Ogunquit Beach parking lot (it means craft fairs or the like, which she loves).  Then off to Perkins Cove for a little walk and some of the best lobster rolls around (Footbridge Lobster).  Put them on ice and Andrew and I had them for dinner tonight.

No pics....we have a teenage boy......  ;D

Nice days out with the fams, Ian and Todd.  You guys probably passed each other going opposite ways at the NH toll booth.

Love those first outdoor jaunts of spring.  Both of those locales (So coast of ME from Kittery to Ogunquit, and Boston including the Commons) are ones I never tire of.

RE: taxes - this year I decided to see how I was doing using just Turbo Tax and hired an accountant.  Result - I payed for the privilege of finding out that I know how to read instructions and fill out forms.  The guy was kind of an ass about it too...  Still, we got a little back which is the side of the equation that I like to err on.  Sorry to hear aobut your situation, Shelly.  That's just not much fun.

Todd, nice!  We spent both days at each grand parents house.  Saturday was with my wife's family and was nice, if a bit hectic.  Sunday was at my parents and was quite a bit of fun with 5 little ones (ages 3 to 10) all running about and playing with each other all over the place.  What I could really use now is a weekend...

• Like 1