And now what did you do TODAY?

morphsci

Thanks all. Luckily we did have a very thorough inspection done and the inspector found a bunch of stuff (most of it small) totaling out to $10k in his estimate. Though that doesn't include replacement of the heat pump/ac system for the addition which is functioning but a cheap brand and expected to fail soon. We figured that the seller would at least be willing to help with the furnace because the unit is so old and rusted out that the inspector said we needed to put carbon monoxide sensors everywhere. We were wrong. We were prepared to walk but our Realtor decided to take a cut of his fees to help offset the furnace. We will probably replace the heat pump system now too and are budgeting more for that.

We are pretty sure that they just want us to walk. We ratified our offer minutes before another offer was going to come in and the other buyers are offering more and are willing to do "as is" so we are going to have to suck it up or walk. We are still getting the house for $65k less than originally listed for and I get significant pleasure knowing that at least we are preventing them from getting more money. Of course the source of all this information is the listing agent and she doesn't seem to be a very upstanding person (our agent is very unimpressed). We ran a bunch of comps and just by square footage and bedrooms we are getting a deal.

I guess different less pleasurable version of a good deal is one where both sides are suitably pissed off.

Edited by Dreadhead
  • Like 3

It sounds like the location and price are good, so I'd be willing to put up with a little more, especially with the Realtor kicking in.  As Doug said, while it may be a buyer's market on a macro scale, each house will sell for what the market will bear.  And this sounds like a good situation long-term.  I'd say fight for what you can, but don't sweat it overall.  And as you say, get some other satisfaction that the sellers could have gotten more and aren't.....

• Like 1

Went to a Ben Howard concert in Miami with Julie. Had been looking forward to it since late last year when I had purchased the tickets. Don't know if he was having a shitty day or was upset at the show not being sold out but he literally said 3 words to the audience besides the actual songs - "good evening Miami." At the end of the set, everyone just walked off stage. Lights came on. Everyone thought there was more to come so no one moved. About 5 minutes later we saw the sound guy pack up for the night so we took that as our cue to leave. He was no where close to being as enthusiastic as I had seen him in other concerts on youtube. Might just have been an off night. Might not have had as reverent a crowd as he is used to playing for in Europe. I enjoyed it as much as I could. Julie left very underwhelmed. 

Had my first

self administered injection, under supervision. As the next treatment option for the embiggened knee.

Got to choose injection site. Chose subcutaneous abdominal fat. Thanks to Bacon I had a "target rich environment" :)

Not as bad as I was anticipating. Surprised at

just how easily the needle went in, and how little sensation. the slow injecting of the contents of the syringe caused more sensation.

Then the clean extraction, and it was all done. 

Now I get to do it all by myself, once a week.

I had interesting bedtime reading previously, where they actually detailed the values of N and the outcomes of various clinical trials so I could evaluate the actual risk of "May" as in "May cause complications. In some cases these May prove fatal" - small , but non zero. But driving to work "may" prove fatal. 

The instructive injection videos helped show the prep and the process of injection, so made the whole ordeal easier. +1 for effective patient education.

I was reminded of a quote i'd heard earlier on NPR which seemed appropriate.

Fear is a story we tell ourselves. Don't believe it.

Edited by Grahame
  • Like 2

No, I

removed them from the 'fridge, about 15-30 mins before use and allowed them reach room temperature.

I also 

Checked the dose was between the purple min/max lines, and checked the batch expiration date.

I did get to flick it to dislodge any air bubbles, and force them out the needle.

somehow I don't think the

"Heroin Chic" look

is anytime in my future.

Decided to host a Super Bowl party at my house. Tim and used to do this whenever both of us were in town. Decided I should keep up the tradition. There will be lots of good beer and bacony things.

Excellent idea Shelly. Another great way to keep Tim in mind and surround yourself with good friends during these times.

Are we invited? :)

^As much as I would like everyone to be at the Super Bowl party, perhaps we should actually plan an HC get together in Houston for a weekend when more people can show up (not such late notice).  Also, there will already be 15-20 math friends at the Super Bowl party and I wouldn't want them taking away my time from HC friends.  

I am serious that it would be great to have HCers down here.  I have a couple of guest rooms and could probably borrow a blowup mattress.  I agree that a new thread would be better.  

Edited by shellylh
  • Like 3