And now what did you do TODAY?

morphsci

Peter - That blows in a big way. May something truly horrible happen to the piece of shit thief and may you be the lucky guy who gets his stuff back. (It does happen sometimes.) Please ignore the life-affirming, generally optimistic advice that I'm fixing to bestow on CJ. Your thief should just be kicked in the balls.

CJ - Radiology might be the bomb. Frankly, if I was young enough, smart enough, and generally at all doctor material in any way, it's probably something that would appeal to me.

That said, I've spent oodles of time with paramedics, NGO workers, the occasional ER doc, and people who work with emergencies generally.   When those folks have a good day and make a save, it's an outrageous high. It's a feeling beyond just job satisfaction. The days that don't work out so well pretty well suck. It's one of those roller coaster versus slow steady climb deals. You've got plenty of time to figure out which path fits for you. 

That said, I think it helps generally to remember that some people are just broken. And we don't have the luxury of knowing how they got broken or who's responsible for breaking them.  (It ain't me. I swear. I was out of town at the time.) Some can be fixed. Some can't, maybe because of lack of resources, lack of heart, or because we simply don't know how. The people who make great emergency responders can focus on the first group, the people who have the potential of giving them the greatest thrill in the world. Which, by the way is a decent trade for saving said victim's butt from whatever, IMHO. Win-win, and all that. I'm not saying it's right for you, but it's worth a thought. 

Another way of looking at shit you're tempted to judge is that it might be put there as a test. Back in the day, I spent a few days with a pair of paramedics - good ones. They had a poster in their bunk room. It said, in fancy medical language, "Remember, diabetics can present like drunks." They made a point of looking at that poster every shift, before bed. Those two people went on to great careers. They were on a unit that rode an outrageous number of calls - like eighteen a day or some such. I have no idea if they owed their success to having their discipline tested by hundreds of drunken homeless clowns, but I doubt it hurt.  (I also have no idea whether diabetics still look drunk-like by the time they get to a doctor, BTW. It might just be something that applies to firemen.) 

Some people can't help but fixate on the people who aren't repairable. The potential consequences of that could include a career in something quixotic  like, ahem, journalism, or working for legal aid. Which is all fine and dandy if you don't mind the feeling of shoveling poo against the tide every day for a few decades, and.... relative poverty. Or maybe there's something like medical research, which, I sincerely hope, might pay decently. Could be an option if you're driven that way.

I thought that car insurance rarely covered items that were stolen from the car but I could be wrong.  Usually renters insurance or homeowners insurance covers that (as others have mention) I believe.  Unfortunately sometimes the homeowners insurance deductible can be a lot more than the items (our deductible is several thousand).  

Personal effects stolen from a vehicle would be covered by homeowners insurance.  Some items (cds, etc) may be covered by some auto policies but not by others. Radar detectors need special attention as each company views them differently and they may not be covered.

Peter, if you reside with your parents their coverage will probably kick in.  Good luck!